Best Exhaust for 1600TP with twin carbs?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igotaholeybus

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been trying to tune my twin Weber ICT carbs after rebuilding them so I bought a vacuum gauge to make sure they were balanced, but when I tried the gauge the needle was fluctuating which apparently suggests a blocked muffler. I have the Monza 4 tip - which I now know is possibly the worst one. So I'm looking for recomedations on what you all think would be the best exhaust for my setup?

Thanks again Dan

I have a vintage speed stainless one on mine, and it sounds good , it looks good and it works plus it’s stainless so it’ll last. For a stockish motor, I don’t think you can go far wrong. Now maybe the gang with the strokers and various performance engines might want a little more in the way of extraction from their exhaust and don’t mind paying the premium for bespoke and tailored exhausts to gain those extra ponies from that noisey cupboard, they may recommend something else, but in all honesty, with your setup, the vintage speed is as good as it gets. My set up is exactly the same as yours apart from 49cc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, speak to Dan at vintage speed :mrgreen:

Beetle exhaust, two bus tailpipes.

I found a stainless steel Beetle standard exhaust for £15 or so, and have been running it on my bus for the last few years with two tailpipes. It's compact, quiet and sounds just right. The Beetle has two tailpipes instead of one, and slightly larger diameter (though I just sleeved the bus tailpipes to make them fit) :)

Thanks Dudes for your info - Ozziedog are vintage speed a UK company as the website I found was in $$$$ and had an address in Taiwan? But I found a few YouTube vids on them and they looked great but think I was on the wrong website? Tofufi wow £15 is a bargain and sounds like you get good airflow too

Taiwan I think, or somewhere deep dark and mysterious, but their UK dude is Dan Simpson and I’m sure you can link him from here, he’s been known to knock up a motor or two as well.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Dan!! Oh Dan,,, where are you :mrgreen:

I am part of the mentioned stroker gang :lol: A 4 into 1 like a quite pack or if you want a tuck away system speak to Mike Haussmann. He’s a UK based fabricator and builds systems order, vastly superior to vintage speed in every sense and you’ll be supporting British industry :D

K@rlos said:
I am part of the mentioned stroker gang :lol: A 4 into 1 like a quite pack or if you want a tuck away system speak to Mike Haussmann. He’s a UK based fabricator and builds systems order, vastly superior to vintage speed in every sense and you’ll be supporting British industry :D

Hi K@rlos

Thanks for the info, do you mean one like this from just kampers all the reviews are really good with the only problem being fitment in the early production years

https://www.justkampers.com/stainless-steel-single-quiet-pack-vw-t2-split-1500cc-1963-1967-vw-t2-bay-1600cc-1967-1979.html

Thanks again, Dan

I had a Bug-pack 4-1, rusted so fitted a Vintage Speed. Looks and sounds great, but lost a little performance - which is to be expected as it ain’t a 4-1.

The Vintage Speed performance one should be better, but might be overkill for some setups.

A 4-1 will always give slight improvement over a stock -style system.

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts