Big Red & Seirra Yell-Low! A Classic adventure

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffP

Reaction score
Richard (aka Squareweave) and myself have been planning a road trip thru California to hit tsome of the big shows for some months now.
Were located in British Columbia just a few miles from the US border in Washington state. Back around March we both found our project road trip campers, Richards is Big Red as seen in his resto thread http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Mine is a 1972 Seirra yellow westy.

I thought we could start a thread and update it as we go.
We plan to hit the road May 26th and head south to be in Sacramento for the Bugorama on the Sat-Sunday. If you have never been to the Sacramento Bugorama it's woth it just for the huge swap!
Then onto Pomona the following weekend and the VW Classic the weekend after that with lot's of other events and shop tours along the way.
We hope to load pic's and updates on a daily basis.....depending on how much Taco Bell and beer we have the night before. :mrgreen:

Onto the Buses!

Here is Richards the day he got it home
P1010084.jpg

Mine the day It rolled into my garage...what a mess!
804633.jpg

But, It's a rust free arizona bus all it's life.. Have a look at the inner wheel wells. Thats the factory wax oil all dried up in there.
804630.jpg

Very dusty but dry!
804632.jpg

First job was a good PSI wash to get the old hippy funk off it :D

804629.jpg

It had the native Arizona theme running thru it as you can see from the seat covers...
804634.jpg

Tear down was next! 40 years of arizona dust, sand and spiders were everywhere.
804636.jpg

I started on mine almost two months ago and as of today it's getting close. Richard and I are working hard day and night to be ready for the 26th. Now only 7 days away!
One of the first things I did was recover my front seats and install electric seat heaters for any cool nights we may find ( or for very cold Canadian winters) along the way.

804638.jpg

808854.jpg

808855.jpg

Fenderwells wiped down and a 4" adjustable beam, droped spindles and rebuilt brakes!
808857.jpg

New ball joints, tie rods, hoses, bearings, centerpin, cables, bushings etc..
808856.jpg

a quick test of the paint.. should polish up nice!

808859.jpg

I decided on some original Alloys, so many hours later after a polish it was onto masking and painting the centers.
808860.jpg

I found a better rear bumper, sent them out for powdercoating and added a set of over riders... looking much better now!
808861.jpg

Time for the engine, The 1700 was toast and I parted out a Euro 73 with a 1600 a while ago so I had all the tin and engine bar so... 1600 it is!
Before rebuild
808858.jpg

more to come!

This trip will def have kodak moments , pls pls upload fotos of your road trip to make us all jealous- av fun time 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Your bus is coming together very nicely 8)

Looking forward to the road trip also ;)

Can't wait to see pictures of the road trip , I have driven a bus from Seattle to San Diego so I know how fun it is to do it , but you guys are coming all the way from Canada so I'm sure it will be a blast.
Let's try to hook up at the Classic , I'll be easy to spot with my big Mexican sombrero.

Juan.

Thanks guys,
I haven't had time to load any pics as every spare minute is spent working on the bus. It now has the rebuilt engine in and running, I raised it up closer to stock height for the inspection (our version of MOT)
Most of the interior is now back in as well as the new canvas. 5 days till we leave and so much to do!

I have wanted to post for a few days, but I have been working literally 15 hours a day on this van for the past two weeks. Geoff came over today to give me a hand with tuning the van, reinstalling the dash, windshield etc. Quite a bit accomplished. I will post a few pics when I get a second.

It's been a marathon few weeks, Rebuilding engines, blasting engine tin, instaling windows, interior panels, wiring etc. But at long last a quick drive around the street in mine the other day as well as a ride in richards for some fine tuning.
The two of us will probably be too tired to go on the trip once there done, lol.

A shot of it before the roof removal

809755.jpg

809756.jpg

Engine getting closer
809757.jpg

The orig paint starting to clean up.
809758.jpg

Up at 6am today, only 4 days to go!
The list of things to do is getting longer, shouldn't it be getting smaller?!?! :shock:
I hope to take it for it's maiden drive today.

...is that you in the yellow rain coat pressure washing the bus? How tall are you!??! :shock:

haha, That's Richard and yes he's taller than me but what you can't see is that he's standing on a rail on the trailer :lol:

Passed inspection and had the wheel alignment done this morning. All insured and street legal! Took it for it's maiden drive today... all good just some small fine tuning! Interior still needs to go in and some other small items to attend to. We still hope to head out Thursday some time!

haha...he looks huge in that photo!

Result on your progress! Wow wish mine was going that fast :(

All the best mate!

730pm, time to start packing! We plan to head out tomorrow afternoon if we can, still lots to do on both but were so close now.
had a nice test drive today..
810723.jpg

If all go's well we hope to get thru Washington state tomorrow night and camp in Portland.

washmap.jpg

Latest posts