Brake light switch leaking?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharman

Reaction score
Guys/girls,

I have 2 brake light switches on my master cylinder, a 3 prong switch nearest servo and a 2 prong switch at the other end. Note I only have 2 connectors on the 3 prong switch which link to the 2 prong switch. The third central prong isn’t used.
Anyway, took it for an MOT and they noticed the 3 prong switch was leaking when brakes applied. It wasn’t leaking from the fitting, but from the plastic cap where the prongs are. I’ve just replaced both switches like for like and bled brakes. Fired her up and applied brakes to check. Good news is brake lights working ok, bad news the 3 prong switch started to leak from exactly same place as before when brakes applied, it was fine for first few tries then just started to spit out when braking.
Any ideas? I was going to swap it for another new 2 prong Meyle Switch as I don’t use the third prong, or is it something deeper. Note the 2 prong switch is fine.
Thanks

Crap aftermarket parts, it’s not uncommon unfortunately for brake switches to leak, or not work out of the box.

Replace with a branded one if possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2 prong one is Meyle but the 3 prong isn’t And I don’t think anyone decent makes them. Think I’ll buy another 2 prong meyle to replace the 3 prong and give that a whirl. Ball ache having to bleed brakes. Currently using more brake fluid than fuel !

I seem to have heard this with alarming regularity. It really astonishes me that anyone anywhere could possibly sell a component or part of a braking system that isn’t at least one hundred per cent and I cannot understand how they are not legally required to sell you things that work. Now I dont mean it “sort of works” or it “mostly works” or it “works to a degree” but works properly. Am I missing something here??? I mean we’re not talking about a dozen eggs and one is cracked, or a box of cornflakes and the box is a tad squished <<< that’s a cross between squashed and crushed :) but we’re talking about stopping a hulking chunk of rust and metal that’s approximately a half a century old and as nimble as a camel on a crutch.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,rant over :mrgreen:

The leaking 3 prong brake switch was from GSF and was a quality part manufactured by SKP. It must be quality because it said it on the box, although I guess not “German Quality” I think they missed an “I” out of SKP.
I’m returning it tomorrow and going to try a 2 prong Meyle switch which looks ok.
I’m really pissed off about the shite quality out there from reputable companies. I recently had some outer bearings probably from the Far East from a “Machine” shop that wouldn’t fit in a month of Sunday’s. Measured oversize by at least 0.25mm oversize. Eventually sourced some FAG bearings and they were spot on.
I don’t skimp on parts, but I’m losing trust in those that sell cheap shit not up to the job. False economy and a waste of my time.

I'm replacing some working 2 prong ones soon, going to 3 as I want to get my warning light working. Happy to post the old ones out when I change them if it's any help?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts