brake pipe valves

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day,

i am going to make my own brake pipes. i have the copper pipe given to me by a mate, i have the tools. i don't have the brake pipe valves. Where is the best place to get them over the counter. Is there a size i should ask for and could i possibly use the old ones if they are in good nick. Cheers

thejinx said:
Good day,

i am going to make my own brake pipes. i have the copper pipe given to me by a mate, i have the tools. i don't have the brake pipe valves. Where is the best place to get them over the counter. Is there a size i should ask for and could i possibly use the old ones if they are in good nick. Cheers
Hi, by valves do you mean union nuts? If so you can get them at any local motor store or on ebay for cheap.
Most, if not all aircooled vw's use short 10mm x 1mm male nuts for 3/16 pipe. You need 2 for every pipe.
I may be teaching you to suck eggs but here are some tips-
Don't forget to put both nuts on the pipe back to back before forming the second flare.
Use a small pipe/tube bender if possible for nice controlled uniform bends with no kinking.
Use a pipe cutter, never a saw.
Keep everything spotlessly clean and tape the open ends until final fitting.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Hey, no problem, i've done loads of pipe fitting of all kinds over the years for work and pleasure and i've also seen a lot of awful installations too.
If you havent done it before try this template method:
Be really careful taking the old pipes off, do it one at a time.
Clean nuts with a wire brush and WD40 before undoing.
I find pipe on a roll will straighten nicely if you unroll short (5" or so) lengths onto a table flattening it as you go.
Cut a short piece of pipe, measure it and form a flare then measure it again. This will tell you how much pipe you lose per flare.
Check what angles you have on the pipes you are replacing then cut short lengths of pipe and make templates by bending those angles using a bender and marking the start and end of each bend.
Start by roughly measuring a pipe from the car.
Cut a length of new pipe that is a few inches longer than you need.
Use the templates to mark where the first bend should start leaving an extra inch on the first one and then bend the pipe, marking the start and end of the bend.
Use this method to measure from the end of one bend to the start of the next.
Do the same for all the bends until the pipe is roughly the same as the original.
Carefully tweak by hand if neccesary.
Mark where the end of the first flare should be and then add on the measurement you took earlier.
Cut the pipe, slide on the nut and form the flare.
Do the same at the other end and then fit the pipe on car.
Copper/Cuni brake pipe is really easy to bend and you can tweak by hand at final fitting to suit.
Repeat until finished.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Latest posts