BRMs 5x15 Et14 Help needed please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nipper

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post, here goes. Just got myself an early bay 69 Devon in white. It is on standard wheels 5x205 and 185x14 tyres. I am getting it lowered next month by the guys at Sussex Aircooled. My problem is I have already got the wheels hoping they are going to fit. The bus has discs on the front and drums on the rear, there are studs on the front and bolts on the rear. They are going one notch on the rear and there will be adjusters on the front, so my question is, to get the best of both worlds, what tyre size will be best for ride and keeping the ride good but getting it low. Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.
I think you may have rubbing issues due to the BRM offset on the front if you're lowered. Unless you go with a narrowed beam.
This is my '69 bus many years ago with BRMs on a stock width beam. The front tyres rubbed the seat tubs and caught the wheel arch when turning.

Chances are the rear tyres will rub on the inner arch, we failed an mot at standard height due to rubbing(the wheels are actually designed for beetles not bays!)
Front was OK, but I guess your using pcd adapters which will move the wheel out, as soon as you lower it I suspect your going to have issues...

BRMs were a pain in the arse when I had them. The van was mildly lowered, and to get them off involved deflating the tyre and massaging them out of the rear arch lip (rear shock bolt removed). I can’t remember what tyre size it was, but assume was an equivalent to match the standard diameter, but they were more hassle than they were worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the replies. It sounds like I have an impending issues with these wheel. I guess I can return them but will have to pay the postage... it’s a mine field isn’t it. Perhaps I can stick with the stock wheels or do you guys have any other recommendations ?

No I wasn’t going to use wheel adapter, they do them in 5x205 as well as 4x112

I think the little confusing bit came with the bolts and studs thing. I’m now assuming that you have wide five discs on the front, as these must be a kit of some description because they didn’t get discs until 71 ish. That’s how you’ve ended up with studs on the front. I’m guessing the rear is still stock hence the mixture. BRMs are just about do able at stock height, but as soon as you start lowering, the little extra offset becomes a bit of an issue on the front. This is when you have to start talking about narrowed beams and / or tubs to give you a bit more clearance under the arch, so in effect rounding out your front arches and extending them up and under the seat. Your tyre size may be dictated by how much clearance you have and how far round the adjusters are fitted plus how they’re adjusted and just how low you want to go. You can go as low as you like until you’re, ‘Laying Frame’ as they like to say, which just means it’s sat on the deck or you can go anywhere in between. As soon as you start lowering the only limitations are your bank account and how good is your dentist. Lowering does reduce the ride and suspension quality, it’s arguable how much lowering helps or hinders in side winds, and the lower you go the more you’ll need to visit your dentist because your teeth will be crunching like never before :shock: :lol: :shock: Lowering seems to be loosing momentum and stock seems to be starting to attract peeps. But everyone that gets a bus thinks of lowering it, mine’s lowered too, but not for much longer :mrgreen: Adjustable doo dahs on the back can help with wheel removal if you’re only going down a notch or two :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,any how, welcome to you and enjoy :mrgreen:

Ozziedog, thanks for the explanation, makes sense. So I think I’ll return the BRM’s and cut me loses, should have asked you guys in the first place. Apart from the stock wheels which I don’t mind 5x205 14s and 185 14 tyres. I have my eye on some other wheels, they are 15s 5x205 5.5x 15 ET20, so these will sit inside more, do you think I’d have issues with those, and what tyre combo would suit do you think?

I really wouldn’t want to buy any tyres until they’ve lowered and you can measure . I’m down about three inches on Transporter Haus reversed type spindles and I’m running 185:60:14 and I’ve got some 15” alloys somewhere and they are Radars I think but I haven’t had them on the bus for a few years and they’re exactly the same size circumference wise but on a 15” wheel. They’ll go back on next year I reckon. These are too small for the speedo to read correctly and that’s both sets. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,there’s a chart available somewhere to compare tyre sizes :mrgreen:

Latest posts