Broken steering lock mechanism in ignition

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealandKate

Reaction score
Hi there, my first post on here, hopefully the post will make sense.
Long story short my '70 bay is currently at a body shop, the key was lost with the steering lock on. Ive taken the steering column sleeve and ignition housing off the bus.
I've removed the barrel, not so fiddly on '70 bud, didn't need "j" wire but because the steering lock was on the mechanism for the lock was damaged. A new barrel will only reach to the lock, I need the cam peice that engages the steering lock and the ignition switch. Is this possible? I can't seem to find one. Have I now got a screwed ignition mechanism?
Any thoughts, experiences, advice would be helpful.
Many thanks
Neal

I've not had this problem but type ignition barrel broken into search and loads comes up. hopefully you will find your solution there. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I did the search and found plenty of advice getting the barrel out. I've done that and it was nice and easy with the brazing rod straight in the front on mine no J bend. However two replacement barrels later and I can't get something that engages with the switch. The first barrel was silver and visibly similar to what I was replacing, however it was missing a tang to engage the switch. The second barrel, black has a tang but its does not time properly with the switch, even if when I've taken out the steering lock pin.
I wonder if because the steering lock was on (with no key) in my removal of the barrel the middle connector between barrel and switch has broken and I'm unable to get a replacement for this specific lock mechanism. Replacement would be disappointing and a bill I'd like to avoid. Any ideas?
Thanks again.
(when I get the van back from its battery tray replacement I can take a photo and introduce ourselves properly in the rest of the forum!)
046944dc9123abecc59258a0e7dd1b86.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Latest posts