Buddy the bus: 69 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiDev

Reaction score
This is Buddy the bus, my 3rd bay and the best yet, the other 2 were late bays. I always wanted an early Dormobile, dropped on a set of Empi 5's. He's pretty much rust free after the previous owner spent a fortune on him, but I've been making a few changes to get him exactly how I want.
jajenyqa.jpg
nuny8evu.jpg

First job was replacing the engine which was rebuilt in the late 80's.
yjuhyze8.jpg

With the old lump out I cleaned up the engine bay.
yza4uma4.jpg

aju4ebev.jpg

y3yguped.jpg

I wanted a little more grunt but there's no point spending big bucks on a lump when running a standard gearbox, so a 1641 with 100 cam, some Dellorto 36 DRLA's and a 4-into-1 header with a single quiet pack were put together, along with a few bling bits. I wanted everything either black or silver.
e2ytahy4.jpg

ydure8ag.jpg

eda4a6u8.jpg

There were a couple of other buses in at the same time as mine, including the worst split I have ever seen: the only things not rotten we're the tyres and the windows.
e5y8u5an.jpg

I bought a vintage spot light off eBay for a bargain £20.
erutegu2.jpg

pa2u6ane.jpg

An hour later it's on.
rasetaju.jpg

I needed another seat and some storage in the bus so got an old apple crate and turned it into a kind of buddy box.
ypuzubej.jpg

gy8ebusy.jpg
e6yqazeg.jpg
5ahanevy.jpg

Some shots of recent trips, actually using it as intended. The kids absolutely love it.
yna8yvez.jpg
y2yvu8eg.jpg
bubyme7u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bro, lots still to do but no great rush, it will all get done eventually!

Agree with above - welcome to another Dormy and a very nice one at that (love the green colour) 8)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Another drive out today, despite the rain we drove the couple of miles to the beach, brewed up a cuppa and it stopped!
sy2e3ysy.jpg

8ygepuvu.jpg

Moved further down the coast and cooked up some sausages, smash mash and peas, got some interesting looks from people walking past.
upyqe7ad.jpg

Took Buddy to the rolling road today to have it set up properly. We were expecting high 60's but the first run was 72bhp with 88lb of torque, after balancing the carbs and setting it richer, tweaking the timing we got 76bhp with 92lb of torque, not bad for a 1641 with twin 36 Dells. More importantly though, it runs better and feels smoother. Roll on Brighton Breeze!

That's a lovely looking bus you've got yourself.

I'd be interested to know what you have had done to the motor over a stock one, I'm looking at replacing our 1.6 single port engine and your bhp/torque figures are pretty impressive.

Cheers

Marcus.

sucram said:
That's a lovely looking bus you've got yourself.

I'd be interested to know what you have had done to the motor over a stock one, I'm looking at replacing our 1.6 single port engine and your bhp/torque figures are pretty impressive.

Cheers

Marcus.

Hi Marcus,

Full spec and pictures further up the thread: 1641, Engle 100 cam, twin 36 Dellorto carbs, that's enough for now on a standard gearbox.

Si.

Fitted a Buttys Bits throttle linkage I bought at Brighton Breeze. The old linkage was ok, this is better. Only thing I can't work out is where to put the return spring?
e7yqeha4.jpg
ehamyraj.jpg

Hi Si ,
Believe you me I am no pro and I fitted mine the wrong way first time.
Maybe it's the pic but yours seems a little at an angle.(if it's me just tell me )
I did not need the spring in the end and it promptly went into the spares for the road box.

I am sure you will be told by a pro in a while.
Bus is really cool, and what a result with the engine upgrade.
Nice job.

J & P
:D :D :D

SiDev said:
Took Buddy to the rolling road today to have it set up properly. We were expecting high 60's but the first run was 72bhp with 88lb of torque, after balancing the carbs and setting it richer, tweaking the timing we got 76bhp with 92lb of torque, not bad for a 1641 with twin 36 Dells. More importantly though, it runs better and feels smoother. Roll on Brighton Breeze!

Nice looking van..

Andy really know just how to set up an aircooled engine.
:D :D

Well with spring not too far away it's time to get a few things sorted for the season. First job was the rotten door bottom.
a186a0f16bb4d7d979bb976656c1e242.jpg

322f72c941b383a767d54d7904a62041.jpg

6de0116266c2527f8c4a4a6814ca446b.jpg

Should be painted and back on for the weekend.

The throttle feels a bit sharper but not massively, the original was in pretty good shape though, and was adjusted up properly, which is important.

Latest posts