Burning oil

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh.go.on.then

Reaction score
Evening all. I started the bus today after 3 weeks. It took a few turns of the key as I assume the fuel in the carbs evaporated. What I got when I started it was a ploom of blue smoke when it first fired up but nothing afterwards. Normal???

Thinking back it was two weeks before I started it last time and I got blue smoke then.

The engine has done 1500 miles after complete rebuild. New barrels and pistons. The heads aren't new but do have new valves and guides.

Is there any way oil can collect to cause the blue smoke on start up or am I looking at something more sinister?

Cheers all

does sound like valve guides did you put new valve guide rubbers on its the oil draining past the guides that gives the blue smoke

I think I ran it in ok. Didn't go over 3k revs until 500 miles. Mixture of roads and no real labouring of the engine

Oil level is fine when run but I think oil can come down from the full flow filter which is at the top of the engine bay. Those pipes hold a lot of oil so goes up on the stick when left.

Engine was built by Laurie Pettit and he knows what he doing so should be built right

I get this every now and then and its always been the first time I start the van after a long journey, ie 100 mile+ trip, put it in the garage, leave it a day or so then get the oil smoke on start up, it lasts a few secs then thats it

It will probably be a bit of oil seeping past the rings. Especially if the ring gaps are currently at the bottom of the pistons/barrels. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim

Latest posts