Bus Vacation 2014

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcruzin

Reaction score
Well, I did it. I convinced my hubby to take the bus on a travel vacation!! We started off going camping with some other bay window bus friends. We went to Guallala Point Regional Park to camp for 2 nights.

All packed and ready to go.

Nice and sunny!

Although earlier in the trip we did hit some rain.

First stop, about 20 miles from home. LOL We were hungry as we left just before lunch.

First nights fire.

Towel rack. :D

I was able to go kayaking while we were there. My hubby and our friend had to lower the kayak down a bank to get it into the water. Was really fun trying get into it in thigh deep water. LOL I managed though.

When we first got to the campground the ranger had told us about the huge killer raccoons and said to make sure we kept our food in the buses. We never thought they would come around while we were sitting by the campfire. They are now known as the marshmallow theives. LOL they stole a whole back of marshmallows off the table right behind our backs. I saw him getting into the back and when I stood up to try to scare him, he took the whole bag and ran.

Sunday morning, after a quick fix of a loose valve, we said good bye to our friends and we headed off towards Fort Bragg.

From Fort Bragg we cut over on Hwy 20 to Hwy 101. We went to Florence Or. and spent the night there.

I found this place along the way. Had to stop and get a photo. See why??

Just a quick stop to see if the VW's were still in a spot we had seen before. They weren't.

Watching movies at the campground.

I was going to try to stop and any murals I could find and get pics for the mural thread here on the Samba, this is the only one we stopped at the whole trip. LOL

This is another thing I wanted to do at each state. It was ok on 101, but we hit I5 to go to Washington and it didn't look to safe to stop at their welcome sign.

Our first Ferry ride. Going to Anderson Is. Washington to visit our friends.

We spent the night there, then the next day we went to Whidbey Is. to visit friends there. Waiting on yet another ferry.

The view from our friends window.

They have visitors every morning and night.

Our friends found us a place on the island that dealt with VWs. We bought a few things.

All loaded on the trailer to go back to our friends to figure out how to load it on the bus to go home. LOL

Figured it out. :D

Time to feed the dear an apple,

Time to go home. Once again, waiting for a ferry. :D

We stopped at as many as these we could find. LOL

Almost home. Mt. Shasta.

We made it home and this is what the inside of the bus looked like. LOL

Ahhh, all back to normal.

We had a great time. Spent 8 nights and 10 days in the bus. The last night we couldn't find an open tent camping campground so we opted for the last room that Best Western had available in Shasta City. I forgot to write the mileage down when we left but when I figured it out via maps, we did 1850 miles not including all the side trips to campgrounds and other places we stopped at. The bus ran like a champ, well except for when it didn't want to idle. With suggestions of some VW people we met along the way, we finally figured it out to be a wire for the fuel cut off. It was connected but only hanging on the coil side with one strand of wire. Once we fixed that, it was good to go.

Can 't wait to do it again. :D

Sounds and looks like a great trip. Good to see that the bus gets used for what it was made for :)
It sure made me jealous. I mean...on the water in a boat in shorts in November with the sun in your face? Just perfect.

Amazing trip and great photos .
Would love to see a racoon on a camping trip :D
Bus looks great and I see the roo bars come in handy!
Cheers Paul.

This is just what I needed. I was losing the love but your pics have reminded me what all the effort and money will give me in return!
Cheers Kim!

Latest posts