Buying a bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at buying my first bay-window (having previously owned a 67 splitty - and currently still owning a 67 bug), but I am finding it very difficult to gauge/categorise buses because of the varying prices from one bus to the next.

Is there anyway to "price-guide" early bay-window buses - in order to compare "like for like"?

I appreciate that each bus is very individual, and that their condition, and any fitted accessories, equipment spec' vary hugely - but perhaps if a standard condition could be assumed (i.e. passed MOT, paint ok, no major dents, no repairs required) then it may just be possible to assign a range of values per model, per model year?

i.e.
1968 crewcab, double-cab, panel, microbus, deluxe, camper
1969 crewcab, double-cab, panel, microbus, deluxe, camper
... ... ... ...
1972 crewcab, double-cab, panel, microbus, deluxe, camper

Does such a thing/document/book already exist?

Thanks,

Mike

Thats a great question!

Not to sure about this one, as they alll vary so much and there are so many different mods on so many different vans its difficult to price.

I think that prices for year / type etc will be very difficult as some people prefer an early early bay i.e pre 1970 to a 71 and the other way around, it could be assumed one is more rare than the other but its only a few hard and fast people who would be up on that, and the majority of the owners would not worry about that, only if it was MOTd and rust free!

Prices seem to dictate nowadys that any MOT'd Bay on the road is worth £3k upwards.
Factor in the early desirability for looks and tax freeness, and I guess you can add at least a £1k on to that.
Add a £1000 for a full genuine camper conversion, £500 for a deluxe, and so on.
LHD may negate you £500, but the probability is that it may be largley unwelded, so that £500, at least, can go back on the price.

Imported early Westys start around £5k and top out around £9 for the top drawer ones.

Ratty lhd deluxes seem to be £5k approx.

This is defintely something I am going to expand on - maybe a simple buying/price guide, although I realise there are lots around already ... maybe take Clem's price factors as a starting point and knock them into some kind of format ..

A grand idea! and is gonna be a winner me thinks :wink:

Very difficult to call this one. Bays seem to go for 3K up to about 14K... yes you read that last No correct.

Some people like LHD some dont (i wouldnt knock £500 off if they dont like it they should only look for RHD)

Deluxe Trim is nice to have, but only if its your cup of tea, better to spend the money on a rust free(ish) bus.

Early models do seem to hold a premium due to tax and the fact that they were only made for 3 years (1 year for the cross over model) and later bays went unchanged for nearly 9 years if you stop counting when they stopped making them in Germany.

Westys tend to hold a premium over Devons etc but again thats down to condition and choice.

Pick ups and Panels tend to move with fashion (its either in or out) and at present seem to be in so they cost more at the moment

Original or restored, again its a personnel preferance so swings either way

And the list goes on, so in summery

You cant really put a price (hard and fast) on something so individual, so a price guide is impossible to make up.

Now you can take every single Van on its own Merit and judge it against others of similar price that you think are worth the money, but as every bus is different its a minefield.

clyde said:
Very difficult to call this one. Bays seem to go for 3K up to about 14K... yes you read that last No correct.

Some people like LHD some dont (i wouldnt knock £500 off if they dont like it they should only look for RHD)

Deluxe Trim is nice to have, but only if its your cup of tea, better to spend the money on a rust free(ish) bus.

Early models do seem to hold a premium due to tax and the fact that they were only made for 3 years (1 year for the cross over model) and later bays went unchanged for nearly 9 years if you stop counting when they stopped making them in Germany.

Westys tend to hold a premium over Devons etc but again thats down to condition and choice.

Pick ups and Panels tend to move with fashion (its either in or out) and at present seem to be in so they cost more at the moment

Original or restored, again its a personnel preferance so swings either way

And the list goes on, so in summery

You cant really put a price (hard and fast) on something so individual, so a price guide is impossible to make up.

Now you can take every single Van on its own Merit and judge it against others of similar price that you think are worth the money, but as every bus is different its a minefield.

I have to agree with this comment, as the market is constantly changing as well as the availability, and the range of differences between even similar vehicles is huge.

You just can't put a general price out there for a general condition bus, as there is no way of realistically quantifying this.

The best way to guage a price is to identify the good and bad points of the vehicle relative to your wants and descide what you would be prepared to pay for it.

If it's consistantly out of your price bracket then you will have to readjust your thoughts.
popcorn.gif

Latest posts