campsite recommendations in Northumberland?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Custom
Anyone recommend a good site in Northumberland?
Looking at heading that way for a week at Easter.
Thanks in advance.
Al

Check out walk mill near walkworth , it's family run by wife of ex Olympic swimmer Nick Gilliingham ! Spotlessly clean don't be put of by the facility's in a static caravan it's better than some hotels ! Google it , it comes under uk campsites
Ade

vaughan said:
Check out walk mill near walkworth , it's family run by wife of ex Olympic swimmer Nick Gilliingham ! Spotlessly clean don't be put of by the facility's in a static caravan it's better than some hotels ! Google it , it comes under uk campsites
Ade

Cheers Ade, will have a look

Hey mate

I know easters passed so a bit late for recommendations

But

Highburn house or Riverside campsite in Wooler at the foot of the cheviots

Or if your looking more costal theres one in Seahousese called spring hill farm

All a short drive away from Bamburgh castle and beach and from the holy island of lindisrane

We've stayed at all three of these and they were spot on sights

Bundy said:
vaughan said:
Ade

Cheers Ade, will have a look

Just wondering whether anybody has tried this or the other sites recommended here?

I am looking to visit 'up North' in a couple of weeks and am looking for a nice base (showers a must, pub within walking distance desirable though not essential.

All suggestions gratefully received. :D

My wife and I have been going to Proctor Steads Caravan Site at Dunstan for over 40 years and have just returned after spending two weeks there. The site is about a mile from Craster (Kippers) and 7 mile from Alnwick.There is a good pub about 5 mins walk away that sells good food and real ale. My wife is very fussy about toilet facilities and would not go if they were poor,not 5* but good 4*. Included with toilets and showers are cloths washing machines etc. The site is in easy reach of all the things that you would want to see in Northumberland and not too far from Scottish border. All pitches are on level ground, most have electric hook ups and the site is clean and tidy. Its best to book ahead as site is very popular. Contact Robbie or his wife Ruth on 01665 576613. I have nothing to do with site just a very satified customer.
Robert
:idea: :)

There's a nice little campsite near me... Called kirk view... Technically not northumberland, but it's only a stone throw away :smile:

Cheers lads.

Proctors Stead looks promising, and ticks the boxes that the good wife insists on, ie the loos. Will certainly consider this one, those kippers are famous of course and I quite fancy trying one. The web site sells it very well, and the location would be perfect for where we want to visit (Holy Island, Cragside, The Farnes, maybe even Berwick for the ale festival, etc.).

I can't quite locate Kirk View, but I'll try again; probably not looking hard enough. :D

K

Actually it's kirk field... Whoops :grin:

http://www.kirkfieldcaravanpark.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spent a glorious week at Proctors Steads, Dunstan near Craster, in September, and it was exactly as dustrat described.

I would thoroughly recommend it at quiet times or midweek, can't vouch for it at busy times, although at the weekend it did seem a little tight with other campers being a bit 'up close'. This is due to the owner (a very friendly old chap) allowing quite a lot of freedom in where to to pitch up, which is both a good and a bad thing, I guess.

The loos and showers are a bit basic at first site, but there is lashings of really hot water and it all works very well. No queues either.

Up the road is a C&CC site which we passed a couple of times, and which looked so regimented and twee in comparison. Like a car park with grass BETWEEN the pitches.

K

When we went we stayed at that regimented C&CC site ;)
To be fair it was a very nice site...lots of room with a big field in the middle that was good for kids to play on. The facilities were very good, but it did seem to have more than it's fair share of pickups towing caravans!
Great area around Dunstan and Craster...lovely coast walks and beaches...highly recommended, but cold wind and very cold at night in Easter! :lol:

Cheers
Al

There's a lot to see and do in Northumberland
I should know it well due to the fact I'm from there originally.
good place to start is Hexham.

vaughan said:
Ade

I know this is an old thread, but based on Vaughan's recommendation we tried Walk Mill camp site for four night a couple of weeks back. It's brilliant, a bit quirky (I like that) and very peaceful. The owners were away but her sister looked after us very nicely. The loos and shower are cracking, housed in a relatively modern static (and huge) caravan and a couple of new 'sheds', which sounds mad but worked really well. As one lad wrote in the visitors book "loos in sheds...epic" :lol: and he was right. Spotlessly clean.

Only downside was that, on our penultimate day, we found ourselves surrounded by 9 bloody great caravans having a rally, complete with marquee, flagpole and the works. At 58 I felt like a naughty teenager at a pensioners outing in the 1950s. :roll:

I'd defo return, lovely place.

Cheers Vaughan.

Kev

Latest posts