Can someone clarify this ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey all. A standard 1600 air-cooled engine with alternator conversion is enough to power a leisure battery and the regular battery both together with lights, fridge etc isn't it ? I'm having a debate with someone and they say the engine is too small for all that and I think it's a load of poop. Sorry if this is silly but I just want to put this to bed ha.🤙.

Also engine size has nothing to do with it.

Alternator is driven by a belt. Therefore it is about revolutions, not horsepower!

So just like any car, if you leave it idling with the lights on for a tank, there is not enough auxiliary power being generated to charge the battery.

A split charger should always prioritise the main battery, only charging the leisure battery when there's "extra" power available.

Personally I sit on the motorway for 3-3,500rpm. Plentiful to charge everything even if I have my lights on at night.

Agree with George on everything here but also will add that is while you’re running along. The fridge itself when parked up may or may not last overnight on the leisure battery because it does draw a lot of current, new modern ones are much bettererer. Your friend is correct though to an extent in that the engine is indeed not very powerful (who’d have guessed) and will struggle with a much bigger alternator as usually gets thrown into the mix when all these things are added to a camper , but things are changing rapidly and adding solar panels can really add sustainability to the situation. This is also one of the reasons that a lot of older campers only had cool boxes because of the battery flattening issue, from new, not just VWs either as older motors of all descriptions were very horsepower challenged.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,bit different now. :mrgreen:

Engine is perfectly capable of charging the batterty(ies) under regular circumstances.
The issue here is the fridge is too hungry/thirsty for the battery itself.

Plenty of options - gas fridge, cool box, warm beer .... :)

Also, newer battery technologies are available - one doesn't have to have a 100lb lead-acid any more. I personally like LiFePo cells, they cost a bit more (ok a LOT more), but they have a much larger AH capacity and more of it is useable. I plan to buy a load of LiFePo cells soon, some for a DIY powerwall, and some to go in the bus. Quite necessary when you want a fridge (well the wife does).

Latest posts