Carb issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ka1dza

Reaction score
I’m having trouble with the stock carburetor. For the longest time I have not been able to start the engine on high idle.
Recently I started to smell gasoline and white smoke coming from the tailpipe when I do start the engine.
I’ve checked for loose connections and bad fuel lines and found nothing.
The fuel lines are only a year old.
Any suggestions??
I drive a ‘71 bay window.
Thanks from across the pond

I’m having trouble with the stock carburetor. For the longest time I have not been able to start the engine on high idle.
Recently I started to smell gasoline and white smoke coming from the tailpipe when I do start the engine.
I’ve checked for loose connections and bad fuel lines and found nothing.
The fuel lines are only a year old.
Any suggestions??
I drive a ‘71 bay window.
Thanks from across the pond
I’m guessing that it’s a 1600 type 1 stock motor?
First thing I’d think of is sniffing the oil on the dipstick and if your sense of smell isnt good, get other peeps to smell it too. What I know about carbs can be written on your nose in six inch letters but saying that it does sound like you may be getting fuel in your oil which normally comes in one of two forms, needle and seat or float in your carb allowing excess fuel to drip into your bores or fuel pump letting fuel pass through its diaphragm.
Anyway , nice to hear from across the pond, hope all is well over there :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, hopefully someone else will have an idea, especially white smoke.:)

Latest posts