Carb names

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Space-Ratio

Reaction score
I do not understand what all the various carb mnemonics used in their descriptions stand for. ICT, DRLA, DCOE etc. etc. Is there a list somewhere of all the different meanings or have I missed an earlier post on the subject.
I have noticed ads for similar Weber "VW compatible" carbs the mnemonic is dissimilar so an explanation of these letters would be helpful
cheers
Mark

They just refer to the different models of carb. DRLA are twin choke Dell'orto's. The other 2 are types of Weber, ICT's are little single chokes and DCOE's are similar to twin choke IDF's I think. They are all more suited to different engine specs and requirements. There are many on the market.

Karl

Some of my findings regarding a very talked about subject!!
most popular upgrade carbs for dubs

Twin Solex 35's or 40's
Twin EMPI Solex (Kadron)
32/36 progressive (what it says really)
ICT - downdraught single choke webers (ideal for single port engines) 34 is the choke size
IDF - downdraught twin choke webers (ideal for twin port engines) available in 36/40/45 etc (36 good up to 1776 - 40 good 1776 and bigger)
DRLA - dellorto equivalent of IDF
EMPI HPMX - poorer quality copy of IDF
EMPI EPC - poorer quality copy of ICT
IDA - 48's - Weber, the ultimate race carb - mostly found on the drag strip.
DCNF - twin choke weber that does work on VWs but parts are expensive and can flood the float bowl on heavy cornering.

What wont work on VW
DCOE - side draught twin choke weber
DHLA - side draught Dellorto

Dellortos were made it Italy and have the slight edge on Webers when it comes to perf. and tuning. But not all parts are available (no longer in production)
The newer webers were made in Spain and not quite as good quality as the older Italian ones. 8)

BTW - I may have a set of Italian Twin Weber IDF 36's for sale - great condition but some jets will need changing depending on application (happy to advise). :mrgreen:

Latest posts