Chassis Number location

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarraghK94

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 1971 microbus and cannot find the chassis number. It’s not on the dash. The engine is not original and the rear apron is not original either.

Are there any other location where it is stamped I’m in some bigger as I need it to start ordering parts for its restoration

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be a number on the chassis to the right side of the engine, between that and the battery but a little further rear. Also on the passenger seat bulkhead there should be the 'M-plate' which has the m-codes on it and a condensed chassis number. You might also find another plate on the driver's side bulkhead.

The chassis number is on the chassis plate on the bulkhead behind the off-side cab seat, on the M code plate on the bulkhead behind the near-side cab seat and stamped into the engine bay metalwork to the right of the engine by the battery tray.

84c5b157273d76d23e31c12ee5aba821.jpg

No plate hear that I can see?

Found it in the back!

Thanks everyone can anyone tell me more about my bus?

*2212120515*

92411ef02ce563d685305c96d4fbeb54.jpg

Is it a dormobile?
If you can find the m-plate that will go a long way to telling you what you need to know?

What’s the bracket for on the bulkhead? I’ve only seen those on dormobiles, for the cooker I guess.
I’ve got a dormy, sans cooker and no bracket either.

31f7d6a6165ed6083d5900cc251319eb.jpg

e08fc7565a5200650c6fc1f17e66e0eb.jpg

fa97b9abc09a2648abecc0be1c75aac0.jpg

Front and rear of both firewalls still no plate to be seen?

Not imported. It’s an original Irish Bus. It was owned by the son of a VW dealer in my local town. He still cannot find the original log book for the van. At least I have the Chassis number and original number plate. I bought as Is engine was removed as it had broken down at one stage. Not so much a bunch of parts either as I bought it as Is.

Is it possible to get a new M plate made by VW knowing the original chassis and registration numbers?

DarraghK94 said:
Not imported. It’s an original Irish Bus. It was owned by the son of a VW dealer in my local town. He still cannot find the original log book for the van. At least I have the Chassis number and original number plate. I bought as Is engine was removed as it had broken down at one stage. Not so much a bunch of parts either as I bought it as Is.

Is it possible to get a new M plate made by VW knowing the original chassis and registration numbers?

Were Irish buses CKD like Australia? They are plated differently to others.

I’m not sure. I believe they were actually assembled in Dublin as I have a shamrock stamped in the glass of my bus also.

Latest posts