Cheapso torque

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziedog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Lidl are doing a cheapso torque wrench for twenty quid :shock: :shock: :shock:
Might be just the ticket for some peeps that only need them very very occasionally. I’d still do the maths though and check it a couple of times on stuff you know :mrgreen: Most of them should be checked periodically anyhow . ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,still only for doing up though :mrgreen:

I have a lidl bench grinder and bore scope which do the job but are very cheaply made, I doubt their torque wrench is an accurate or precise implement which is pretty critical part of a torque wrench :lol: I have snap on wrenches but I am an engineer (and have problem) :msn4: for people who do work at home I think the Halfords professional range is hard to beat. well priced and decent quality.

A torque wrench isn't something I'd cheap-out on personally. The reason they exist is so that you know and trust that a fastener is tightened up to spec. I'm as tight as a northerner, but not on this.

Coda said:
A torque wrench isn't something I'd cheap-out on personally. The reason they exist is so that you know and trust that a fastener is tightened up to spec. I'm as tight as a northerner, but not on this.

I agree 100%

All torque wrenches should be tested periodically depending on whether you use them a lot or if you have accidentally left your torque wrench on a high setting. It is good practice to release the tension on the spring in the wrench before you put it away. There is no such thing as a spring based torque wrench or a clicking torque wrench that does not need adjusting every so often the only one that doesn’t need adjusting is the beam style old torque wrench as there are no moving parts. That’s possibly the reason that most wrenches have adjustment on them. There’s quite a few ways to test them, you can go on you tube and see several. Most use a large weight suspended at a twelve inch point or suspend a couple of litres or gallons of water in containers as that’s so easy to adjust. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, sorry to be controversial :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
All torque wrenches should be tested periodically depending on whether you use them a lot or if you have accidentally left your torque wrench on a high setting. It is good practice to release the tension on the spring in the wrench before you put it away. There is no such thing as a spring based torque wrench or a clicking torque wrench that does not need adjusting every so often the only one that doesn’t need adjusting is the beam style old torque wrench as there are no moving parts. That’s possibly the reason that most wrenches have adjustment on them. There’s quite a few ways to test them, you can go on you tube and see several. Most use a large weight suspended at a twelve inch point or suspend a couple of litres or gallons of water in containers as that’s so easy to adjust. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, sorry to be controversial :mrgreen:

I am well aware of all this... I give them to the snap on man once a year and my company pays for it to be checked, calibrated and certified.

Still stand by my statement that a 20 quid torque wrench is going to be an inferior product.

Lidl Torque Wrench

If it’s all you can afford, probably better than guessing. Lidl/ Aldi stuff is generally not bad and good value for money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sparkywig said:
Calibration costs around £20, so if you buy one and have it calibrated it's still fairly good value.
Just wind it off before putting it back in the toolbox.

That winds me up that does! Getting the torque wrench out of the truck at work only to find it is still set from last time it was used! :x

madman said:
sparkywig said:
Calibration costs around £20, so if you buy one and have it calibrated it's still fairly good value.

That winds me up that does! Getting the torque wrench out of the truck at work only to find it is still set from last time it was used! :x
I think I left mine set at 100ft/lbs :shock:
<rushes out to look in his toolbox....>

Coda said:
madman said:
sparkywig said:

I think I left mine set at 100ft/lbs :shock:
<rushes out to look in his toolbox....>

You and a few dozen others [emoji23][emoji23][emoji28]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Listen guys,you don’t need to get them calibrated unless you really want to. I seem to have started a bit of a what oil thread here. You can check them yourself, and you can calibrate them yourself to within a couple of a percent and that is all you need to do. You can go crazy and get them sent off which is totally not necessary unless you’re using them professionally. The only time it needs to be crazy accurate is on the lower settings. Stuff like the Earlybay rear nuts need approximately two fifty ish from memory then on round to the next hole for the split pin??? That’s not exactly accurate is it? On that one 250 I’m guessing is a minimum. I’ve got two myself and have access to several more :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, might just go and get one and test it, for devilment :mrgreen:

We have tiny wrenches at work for aviation equipment boxes. They are calibrated every year, but saying that we pay 1000's to get all our scopes and signal generators, etc done very year too... if you ask me, its a bit of a racket :D

Coda said:
We have tiny wrenches at work for aviation equipment boxes. They are calibrated every year, but saying that we pay 1000's to get all our scopes and signal generators, etc done very year too... if you ask me, its a bit of a racket :D

Yes,I think there’s a large element of that for sure. The other issue has got to be for insurance purposes if anything was to go wrong with the things that you’re working on as that can be the one constant in that it’s been reliably checked periodically so it can’t be the equipment, so let’s blame the operator :shock: :shock: :shock:. Yes ,and worse things have happened at sea as they say :mrgreen: I’m under no illusion that a top branded tool should need less adjustment/ calibration than a popular less expensive one for instance, however if you’ve left yours wound up tensioned up or just not tested, then it’s a great idea to check it before you next use it. Mates got an electronic one, not sure how it works or if it’s just the display that’s lecky tricky, I’ll ask :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Lidl for the win :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

I’ve never seen an electronic torque wrench but I’m guessing they use Wheatstone bridges like most other force sensing equipment.
Like my overworked bathroom scales :mrgreen:

Latest posts