choke - manual or auto?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrmit

Reaction score
Hi guys am a bit of a novice so go easy on me please!
Bought my 72 dormobile in May since then had a few issues with the auto choke being stuck fully on. I know this is something I need to replace and fix but have been told by a few people that I would be better fitting a manual choke as there appears to already be a lever for it in the cab!
a) Is a manual choke my best option?
b) where am i likely to get said manual choke?
c) What else do I need to be looking for?
:?
Am based in Yeovil in Somerset so any local knowledge for where to get work done would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

I am no expert with carbs, but would not recommend a manual choke on a bus. In fact the two manual conversion kits I have had dealings with (both non VW) were rubbish and never worked properly. The standard Solex carb and choke, if in good condition, work well and have done for years. If it 'aint broke, don't fix it. Though obviously yours is, hence the question. :oops: Assuming the engine is standard, then repair/replace the faulty parts/carb with standard.

You can easily adjust the electric carb so that it comes off slower or faster.
There a 3 little screws that fasten the choke in place, slacken these off and turn the choke to suit (not sure what way to quicken up choke release). Not a hard job but might take some time to get it set up the way you want it!

Keep the auto one!

The easiest thing to check... is that the choke is connected to the little thingie inside the carb that it rotates. It may just not be hooked round the thing on the carb properly.

Definitely keep it stock ;)

Hi and welcome,take a look at http://www.vw-resource.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; search for choke,should make things a lot clearer.
Good luck :)

Latest posts