Clearcoat

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis483

Reaction score
Evening All

After the great response on my first post/question I thought I would give it another go!
My Bus is for the most in great shape, I am having the engine bay and engine all made sparkly next month and also some work on the rear end such as two rear quarters all be it just below the indecators and the very bottoms of the rear arches. I am not attempting this myself,Simon at Nos VW is going to do it and I have no doubt it will be a great job.
But what I want to do myself is patch the paintwork on the new metal work and also repaint the sliding door and same panel on the other side then clear coat the whole bus
(In a past life the bus was a fire tender in Austria and for some reason the paintwork on these panels has faded really badly being orangie red I think they could have been a different colour at some point)
So im getting a bit confused about what to use? base coat clearcoat or single coat then clear coat the whole bus?
2pack? water based or not?
I can spray although never sprayed a bus, I can have the bus indoors at work but cant get it in our booth but close, have all the relevant tools spray guns at hand, its just which product to use

Thanks for the help
So far I have been recommended Maxiclear HS New ?

Hi mate, assuming you will be painting the repaired areas in colour then clearcoating the rest? if that's the case then you would basecoat the colour then clearcoat (lacquer) the rest, choice is yours with either 2k or waterbased personally if you never painted waterbased before then 2k would be easier, also you will need to key the remaining area to be clearcoated with something like grey scotchbrite and panel wipe hope this of some help mate :)

My last 2 buses,

006.jpg

032-1.jpg

007-8.jpg

Splittypics014.jpg

003-16.jpg

I sprayed over the repaired areas in 2k primer then flatted then localised them in with 2K topcoat then the whole bus was wet flatted by hand with 800 grit then 2K laquered the whole thing.

A lot of boring hard work!!
:lol:

More pics etc on my build thread below!!

Latest posts