Clever advertising or con - Bus for sale on ebay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know technically there's nothing wrong with this but it does feel like a bit of a con to me. A bit like all those people selling photographs of Xbox's way back when.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Bay-Window-Westfalia-Camper-Van-poptop-wheel/251293872553?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D8587496903120712324%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D251293872553%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pics and 95% of the text are all for a bus yet the very top line says your bidding for a wheel only. Been on their half a day and already up to £50+ for a single wheel? Cant help but feel people will wash over that and read the text, look at the pics and think they're getting a bus. Yes you can argue its there fault for not reading it but is it also a bit deceptive to offer it like this.

You also get things like this all the time saying your bidding on a wheel nut, but they tend to be when breaking a vehicle and don't come with a full description of the car being broken

Well there is advertising, and then there is mis-advertising.....this definitely comes under the latter!
Yes it states that the bus is also available, however this is not what the item bidding is for, even tho 95% of the item description describes the condition of the bus itself. No mention of the actual wheel condition, tyre size etc...

Be interested to hear this guys take on it........if he does frequent this forum.

it's basically a way of skipping the insertion fees, prob cost 50p to advertise a wheel, and then state in the advert "the bus is also for sale" £5500 firm..... naughty but not nasty, e bay don't like it but you'd have to be stupid to think you were buying the van .

but by the same token. as a reputable seller would you not think someone wanting to pay £62 for a single wheel with 5 days left probablly doesnt realise that. I was gunna mail and ask if the 5500 firm is for the wheel or the bus as it doesnt really state what thats for either.

sorry but when the xbox con was on I got called a twat by a seller. full description was of the console and its capability. however hidden in the description it said youd only recieve a photo. I had asked if it was black and white or colour

rickyrooo1 said:
it's basically a way of skipping the insertion fees, prob cost 50p to advertise a wheel, and then state in the advert "the bus is also for sale" £5500 firm..... naughty but not nasty, e bay don't like it but you'd have to be stupid to think you were buying the van .

I see where your coming from, however the more logical and non misleading way to sell the bus would be to have a 'buy it now' with 'best offer' option The best offer can be agreed and dealt with outside of ebay, so costs kept down.

Like nugsy stated, paying £62 for a steel wheel? still with 5 days to go?....somethings wrong somewhere, and someone is in for a nasty shock come checkout time.

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

If it is a way to avoid insertion fees then I like his style.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a bus off eBay though without actually looking at it. If I'd believed the advert for mine he would have been perfect alas he wasn't.

Sent from my iLife4 suite of applications.

to answer the price of the wheel at £62 - i'd imagine the hope is to get abuyer via direct contact for the bus then pull the wheel advert before someone pays? if it works it's genius - evil bay and paypal are money grabbing twats.

I've bought from Simon before and hes a good guy!

Its now update in big blue text that its for a wheel only :lol:

Looks a tidy bus though!

Clever advertising or a con? Well, it's clever advertising if you are the seller, a con if you are the bidder, IMHO :roll: .

Presumably when the wheel is sold, the second will appear, and so on.

That has got me thinking...is Simon selling the bus piece by piece? Next week it might be the roof... :lol:

BTW - Simon's ebay feedback is excellent, suggesting that nobody is really feeling conned at all. Nice one.

£90 for a single steel wheel rim!! :shock: :lol: shocking!

I wonder if the winning bidder is going to pay up on the button....or maybe after realisation of the crafty ad wording, make simon have all the hassle of contacting Ebay customer support, and opening a case for non payment. The endless emails to and fro arguing the toss, the negative feedback threatenings :roll:
Oh the joys of Ebay!

Its all going to get a bit messy I feel ....and for what. ....the sake of a few quid? :lol:

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

it's clear he's advertising just a wheel (those who don't read ads shouldn't be making purchases) but he is just trying to dodge ebays silly fees, fair play but agreed, misleading.

not a scam though.

Latest posts