Close call today. Almost burnt up my motor!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcruzin

Reaction score
I love to drive my bus. I drive it every chance I can when the weather is dry. Today hubby had asked me to go get pizza and bring it back to his work for lunch. So I drove the bus to get the pizza. All was fine until I went to turn into the tow yard. I had to slow down to almost a slow crawl to let traffic go by. When I went to go I heard a thump. Thought that was strange, but continued into the yard. When I got in and just before i turned the motor off, I heard another thump and again, thought to myself, what is going on? Hubby had heard the thump too, but he also had smelt the bus was hot as I drove past him when I first entered the yard. He opened the deck lid and there was the belt, sitting on the apron. It was still in one piece but half the size in width then what it should have been. Hubby asked if I noticed the generator light on. I didn't notice it. He thinks that what happened was the belt started to slip and made it to where the light didn't come on and the motor didn't cool as efficiently as it should. Why it started to wear like this is still a mystery. All looks good as far as the pulleys. One thing that Lita had mentioned on my FB page is maybe I bought the wrong belt. Thinking back now, that may have been possible. I can't really say for sure though.

Here is the new belt next to the old one.

IMG_3183.jpg

I lucked out and yah the motor was hotter then normal, but when I took it's temp (I have a lazor temp reader in the glove box), it was only about 10 degrees hotter then normal.

This has opened my eyes. I don't want this to happen again. For now this is my solution to keep an eye on the light. LOL

IMG_3184.jpg

That's my old belt. Figured with it being right there in plain sight, it would be a good reminder to keep an eye on things.

I have come up with a plan though. Before I put the new belt on, I wanted to find out why I didn't see a light. I mean, when the light goes on my 64 Bus I know it is on, you can't miss it. I was dumbfounded on why I missed this one. I went ahead and started the motor without the new belt. The way the sun was shining in on the gauges I could barely see the light was on. So my first plan was to just put a brighter light in that spot. Then I got to thinking. With this new eye opening experience, I don't want to ever "miss" the light being on again. I thought of putting a "key in the ignition" warning buzzer inline with the gen light. That way when the light comes on, the buzzer will start buzzing. I'm not talking about the cute little new age ding ding buzzers. I'm talking in the 70's irritating buzzers! I should have one somewhere with all the Pintos I have stripped so the buzzer is not big deal. The big deal is, can it be done? I don't know exactly what is involved in a buzzer. I will have to go find one and see if this can be done. I will update on what I come up with.

Hi,

apologies if you have checked already, but, dash lights are dimmable (not 100% sure if it includes the gen light) - Turn the main beam pull switch left/right to go up/down in brightness - just a thought!

Regarding the belt - on my US import the belt was a smooth V type (like yours) - when I got a belt from an online vw place it was the notched type, so may not be the wrong one - they get thinner with use and as you remove shims to compensate and tighten the belt back up it will reach a point when with no shims it will still be loose, can you remember how many where on the bolt side of the alternator when you changed the belt? Just thinking that it might have worn down quickly due to incorrect tension, rather than being the wrong size/width belt?

As far as the dimmer switch, I'm not sure if that will work on warning lights or not. I will surtanaly give it a try.

I cant't remember on the first belt how many shims were where. Hubby put the new belt on for me so I'm hoping he got it on there right!! :D

I did find a buzzer today. Now I just need to figure out where all the wiring is for the light! :D Bentley here I come. LOL

Hi,

Lucky it was spotted in the nick of time. Interesting thought abouth the buzzer. My alt light isnt working, and i am sure i had read that if the alt/gen light isn't working, then it isn't charging? Now mine hasnt worked for months, and i have checked the bulb. Interested to see if a buzzer can be rigged to sound if the alt stops working. You have the ignition on, door open thing buzzer already on us buses if yours still works, maybe could be rigged up somehow?

I have been relying on the fact that as long as my heating is blowing hot, the fan is going, if it gets cold, i stop and see whats what! I too tend to look at the belt every time i check the oil, every week.

Keep us posted if you get a buzzer warning working for alt light! ;)

Cheers!

Alistair

lucky escape fella , i had the same thing last yeah but cooked the motor, and yeah the gen light was working but didnt come on due to the fact it was slipping and i was booing it too whoops,

jth

aogrady said:
... You have the ignition on, door open thing buzzer already on us buses if yours still works...

I never knew this...does that explain the light on the dash (on the right of the cluster) that most US buses seems to also have? Thinking on it my interior light doesn't come on with the doors either so will need some investigation!

lard said:
aogrady said:
... You have the ignition on, door open thing buzzer already on us buses if yours still works...

I never knew this...does that explain the light on the dash (on the right of the cluster) that most US buses seems to also have? Thinking on it my interior light doesn't come on with the doors either so will need some investigation!

I didn't know this either! I will have to look for it. In the mean time, I found a buzzer but after testing it on a battery to see how loud it was, I am going to scrap that idea. I don't think it will be loud enough to hear with the motor and radio going. I don't listen to the music loud either.

A friend of mine told me about some other type of buzzer. He called it a peaose (sp). I have never heard of this term, but he say's I can get them at Radio Shack. ( A electronics store) He is supposed to be getting me the info on it and I will report on that when I go get one.

Lard, as far as you light not working when you open the door. Have you tried taking the door buttons out and cleaning them? That is what I had to do to get mine to light again. One of the first things I did. LOL I can't stand getting into a dark car at night. I even have an old toggle style light out of a Gia ( I think) just hanging down because I don't have a headliner yet. LOL It works though! :D

If you don`t have a headlining fitted then this may be doooable. What if you had an additional warning light that could light up around the top of the screeen, perhaps peeping out at you from a sunvisor clip or just a small one (led) peeping out from the screen rubber. Maybe have it flashing. If it`s up there above the glass line, it shouldn`t get sun / glare problems :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Dunno,,,,,, good idea ???? Or crap idea ???? :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

If you don`t have a headlining fitted then this may be doooable. What if you had an additional warning light that could light up around the top of the screeen, perhaps peeping out at you from a sunvisor clip or just a small one (led) peeping out from the screen rubber. Maybe have it flashing. If it`s up there above the glass line, it shouldn`t get sun / glare problems :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Dunno,,,,,, good idea ???? Or crap idea ???? :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Actually it is a great idea. We are going to do something like that but we are going to put one on top of the dash. Like these, but not washer nozzle type! LOL

38019_BlueLED_wwNozzle_Combined.jpg

I couldn't find a picture of what I am thinking of, but those are the style I am wanting. I figure I will go to the local electronic store and have a look around.

A friend told me about a Piezo buzzer too. He said they can really scream. So I am going to go pick one of those up too! :D I also figured out something else that will really help keep an eye on things. A temperature gauge! LOL That will be on the list of to do things too! :D

Latest posts