Clunk rattle, a Canadian crossover.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started improving the lights on my Bus tonight.

I got inspiration from the trains that rubble through Canmore crossing Canada. I was going to fit a pair of old chrome lamps I had kicking about but decided to have a crack at giving the Bus a third eye for something a little different.

The plan is to have it come on with the Hi-beam once wired and I'll have a plug off the back and a socket mounted to the spare wheel carrier.... this is all to follow but for now this is what I have made.

Not posted for a while....

Picked up a Touareg been working on that a bit, but it now needs a pair of exhaust cams so I cheered myself up with a bit of work on the Bus.

Also got a dog to ride co-pilot, but after nearly 6months with a reverse gear that is loosing the will to live (or teeth on the gear) got do to a bit of maintenance.

I saved a set of running gear from a metal skip last year. So today I tore the gearbox apart inspected and built it up with new gaskets n seals.

The oil that came out was clean, like new. On the inside it looked 4years old not 40! and after counting the teeth on the Diff it's gonna gear the old girl up which is sweet now I have the 2.0L lump.

Scrapped off the worst.

A solvent bath.

Better.

Got a decent seal kit, stripped and built back up.

Oh and I converted the old sealed beam lamps to H4

Thanks Marmite Monster, I'm pretty pleased with the light. Something a little different.

I managed to get my old 3rib gearbox out and the new(ish) 5rib one back in.

I started at 7pm and finished 2:30am! not a great idea on a school night but another thing ticked off the list.

I've done about 200miles with it so far and the bus is SO much nicer to drive with the higher ratio 5rib, cruising at 65MPH you can talk without shouting.

Wow you have really cracked on with showing us it it should be done , even fitting and studding your tyres ...Hardcore! Loved the way that you saved the heat exchanger and the pictures of where you live are stunning, nothing like here is England! I will watch your thread with interest and I already looking forward to more updates and tips. !
Any plans for an Ebberspacher or auxiliary heating ?

Boy do I envy your views... and the amount of snow.... and and ... BACKCOUNTRY skiing. I just live in the wrong place. Great thread!

Thanks guys, I'm trying to keep a steady pace on the old girl as she's my daily driver.

I picked up a petrol heater out of a bug but not got round to testing it yet, I got the heater the pump all the wiring and switches and grabbed the ducting out of another west that was being scrapped.

Been saving up since christmas and christmas is nearly here again I finally was able to order a redline weber carb kit for the bus :D

I did a bunch of reading and finally decided to go for 40IDF's over 44IDF's

At least the puppy doesn't mind the old bus is totally under carb'd

Been a week since I ordered my Carb's :D

Trying not to be too excited as they make their way to Alberta Canada but I want them NOW!!

I've been keeping busy driving my Bus in the Rockies spotting wildlife and today I swapped out the gearbox in a friends bus that has the same issue as mine.

No reverse, only he'd been putting it off for over a year :shock:

Went pretty smooth, fixed his charge and oil pressure light which he'd just put faith in being ok. Joe's bus Emma has served him well since 1999!

Thats seventeen years of adventure, the old girl is just about to roll over at 99641miles which I think is at least the second time round the clock 8)

Great build thread with fab detailed photos. I think ya bus with longer shoxs and taller chunky winter tyres certainly gives it a more purposeful look :D

Got to say though you live in a very nice part of the world, we keep saying how we like to go to Canada, but my problem is I don't think I'd won't to come back to the UK.

Cheers! I'm pretty happy so far :)

You should come visit Canada, it was only supposed to be 8months for me and that was 8years ago :lol:

Great place, country and people!! I'm lucky to call it home.

My Weber Carbs finally turned up today. I'm so excited!! after watching the tracking page, constantly refreshing it to see where they might be. Slowly getting closer.....

The box is pretty cool 8)

I'm glad I sprung the extra cash for the real deal Redline Weber (made in Europe) IDF's

The manifolds look ok but I think I'm gonna clean them up smooth and polish before I fit my new set up.

I paid an extra $80 to have them Jetted to my application and altitude so fingers crossed they work better and take some of the guess work out of the tuning.....

Why does it always take four times as long to do any job, I thought I'd have my carbs in Saturday and my Bus running ready to go to a show Sunday but no..... Making steady progress but must finish today because I only have the space to work on my Bus till tonight.

I started off with porting the manifolds, didn't go too crazy just tidied up the castings ,drilled and tapped #1 for the brake servo/booster.

There is so much conflicting info on where/how many vac ports you need to work the brakes. I'll report back once it's together and driving but I used a 1/2inch barbed fitting to a 1/4NPT thread.

I decided where I wanted it then used callipers to find the thickest part of my casting, drilled, tapped then after installing I smooth out and match the fitting to the inside of the manifold.

I've relocated my fuel filter

Then started on my breather system that took a lot longer to do than I thought it would as I removed the firewall to attach it. I'm happy as it's a better job and I found a fuel leak I didn't know I had. I brought a pair of SCAT bolt on valve covers and drilled and tapped them the same as the manifold.

Not the best picture but you can see whats going on.

Old carb is removed new ones assembled, a long day but a fun day :D

Carbs in, had to modify the RH carb throttle arm to clear tin.

Finished off the breather with some bits from the local pumping store.

Had the Bus sync'd and running good then decided to fit the new upgraded ignition and she wouldn't run, switched back to points wouldn't run lost my mind a little and decided to call it a day. really regret not going for a drive beforehand.

Buddy, what are you doing with your old carb? I only ask as I have a Motorcraft one here from a USA bus and the linkage is missing and I was wanting to fit it to the 2.0 I have here for the bus. I've posted on the late bay in wanted but no one has a carb for spares :?
I'll dig a picture of it and let me know if it's the same and if these are still easily available over you way, I'd happily pay all shipping and whatever else to get it sorted 8)

Thank man!

10months into my project/daily driver and it feel like she's finally coming together :D

I can report that with only the #1 manifold drilled my brake booster/servo works better than it did sharing all four with the old progressive 32/36 set up.

Not sure why the bus didn't run with the pretronix or with my original set up put back on???? but I chucked the Dizzy on from my 58bug and she fired right up!

Went for my first real spin tonight :) took the puppy for a walk and ripped about town a bit. Type4 engined buses are MEGA! and with the twin Webers I can crawl in 3rd gear at 15mph then step on it and boost up to 60mph no prob's super happy and it's not even tuned up spot on yet.

Orderered so stuff to do some wiring on the weekend n fit a stereo as well. TBC

Latest posts