Clutch biting point

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeeDubMan

Reaction score
My biting point is right at the top of the pedal travel so I'm nearly taking my foot off the clutch pedal whenj changing gear.

Am I right in thinking that tightening the cable will mean the biting point is then lower down?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No, tightening the cable means the release bearing will be engaging with the clutch sooner, I.e. the biting point will be even higher.

The clutch should be adjusted such that you have a certain amount of pedal travel before the bearing has fully contacted the pressure plate, I think it is about 10-20mm travel off the top of my head. This is the point where you feel the resistance change (increase) in the pedal. I like to do this with my hand as you have more of a feel for where this point is than with your foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you mean when you say you have no biting point? There must be a point when you release the pedal where the bus begins to move - that is the biting point. If you’re referring to not being able to feel the point of engagement of the release bearing to the clutch, your cable may be too tight. Whilst your gears will shift fine like this, it could mean that your release bearing is in constant contact with the pressure plate which will wear it out fairly quickly and will need replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
What do you mean when you say you have no biting point? There must be a point when you release the pedal where the bus begins to move - that is the biting point. If you’re referring to not being able to feel the point of engagement of the release bearing to the clutch, your cable may be too tight. Whilst your gears will shift fine like this, it could mean that your release bearing is in constant contact with the pressure plate which will wear it out fairly quickly and will need replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's what I mean and will check the cable tightness, thanks

Latest posts