Clutch Cable Not Tensioning correctly

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPBerry2011

Reaction score
Hi all.

Wondered if somebody might be able to advise me.

I had our Transmission rebuilt after a catastrophic failure last July. I've just reinstalled it and am trying to adjust the clutch pedal cable to its correct tension/free play.

Should the adjustment be made when the engine is installed for tensioning purposes or doesn't it matter?

I tried to adjust the tension with the pedal is in the 'up' position.

I can turn the wingnut on the tranny end all the way to the end and although the pedal tensions, it still feels pretty soft and lacks any real resistance. I'm wondering if it could be a Bowden tube related issue?

To the naked eye I can't see any damage to the current Bowden tube and it has stayed installed as before, with it only being disconnected from the transmission bracket.

The cable is still in one piece but could it have stretched when the gearbox failed?

Before i go the whole shebang and replace the lot i wanted to know if anybody had any pointers or might be able to enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Are you trying to set it without the engine installed? You've got to have the engine and clutch in situ, otherwise you can't adjust to the biting point. There should be about 15mm (from memory, check this figure) of free play before the release bearing hits the pressure plate, and you feel the resistance of the clutch itself. Basically, you're setting the pedal so that the release bearing is not permanently touching the pressure plate, but also so that there isn't so much free play that the clutch doesn't fully disengage when pressing the pedal.

Moseley said:
Are you trying to set it without the engine installed? You've got to have the engine and clutch in situ, otherwise you can't adjust to the biting point. There should be about 15mm (from memory, check this figure) of free play before the release bearing hits the pressure plate, and you feel the resistance of the clutch itself. Basically, you're setting the pedal so that the release bearing is not permanently touching the pressure plate, but also so that there isn't so much free play that the clutch doesn't fully disengage when pressing the pedal.
Yeah im trying to detemine whether the engine has to be installed in order for the free play to be adjusted. Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Clutch can only adjusted when engine is fitted, Because strictly speaking without the engine there is no clutch to adjust. Volkswagen specify 10-20mm of free play at pedal, if you’ve fitted a new cable make sure it’s the correct length as there are many different lengths.

Latest posts