Combat Damp?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lard

Reaction score
Hi,

Campers in the garage out the rain but I'm aware that it gets damp all the same in my garage, there is airflow but no heating e.t.c. so the damp hangs around,

Anyone done something to combat this? A caravan'ing friend was talking about damp and how once it's established it's a nightmare to shift,

Was thinking along the lines of those low power green house heaters you get to keep the edge off of the weather - worth doing or is it a case of de-humidifier and doing it properly?

I'm just aware that my bus spent the last 40 odd years in the sunshine and is probably hating our winters already :D

Thanks,

Larry

get the rechargeable dehumidifiers from caravan shops mine cost a fiver, plug it into the mains for a couple of hours to dry the crystals and it should last a week in a closed van less if your drying the west of england :lol: sorry windsurfer, or you can buy the ovenable I know its not a word bags or tins of silica once all the items inside have dried then the volume of air is no bother to keep dry and save your pride and joy.........

Araon said:
get the rechargeable dehumidifiers from caravan shops mine cost a fiver, plug it into the mains for a couple of hours to dry the crystals and it should last a week in a closed van less if your drying the west of england :lol: sorry windsurfer, or you can buy the ovenable I know its not a word bags or tins of silica once all the items inside have dried then the volume of air is no bother to keep dry and save your pride and joy.........

aha! - ok - I expected a dehumidfier to be like the ones used in comms rooms :D - I'll take a look at a few caravan shops online for some inspiration ;)

Thanks!

EDIT:

All you need to know about dehumidifiers:

How does a dehumidifier work?

There are four types of dehumidifier sold to the domestic market in the UK - Compressor (the majority), desiccant, peltier and silica gel.

A compressor based dehumidifier draws the air in from the room over a filter and passes it over some cold coils similar to the coils on a fridge. As the coils are cold, water condenses and drips into a bucket. The air is then reheated to room temperature and blown back out of the dehumidifier.

A desiccant dehumidifier has no coils and uses a wheel filled with a moisture absorbing desiccant material to extract the water from the air. The air is then reheated to about 10°C above room temperature and is then blown back into the room.

A peltier dehumidifier basically uses a cold metal surface to condensate the air on. These should not be used below 15°C and will not control much more than a large wardrobe.

A silica gel based dehumidifier normally comes in a tub or a rechargeable cassette and should not be used to control more than a box/draw or wardrobe.

Why do unheated areas get separated out?

A dehumidifier that can be found in your local high street store is designed for use in your home, which is nice and warm. In a garage, store, workshop, boat, caravan, holiday home or a conservatory the temperature will drop a lot lower. Since a compressor based dehumidifier works by reducing the temperature internally it can easily reduce down to freezing even if the ambient temperature is 10°C. What you do not want is for your dehumidifier to form a block of ice or for you to find a puddle on the floor.

What happens when the temperature in the room drops down towards freezing?

Most dehumidifiers designed for use in the home will just stop working and turn themselves off. Others will try to work and might well suffer from a build up of ice. Those with a defrost system are likely to only extract a tiny amount of water.

What is the correct type of dehumidifier to use in these applications?

You need a machine with a function called hot gas defrost or a desiccant based machine. If the dehumidifier does not have either of these features then do not buy it. Examples of our current range can be found here.

How does Hot Gas Defrost work?

Hot gas defrost works by reversing the coils and using the heat from the hot side of the coils to melt the ice to water. When this is done the heat is returned to the front of the machine to warm the air before it is blown back out.

So what temperature will a hot gas defrost system or a desiccant dehumidifier work down to?

Freezing.

----

Now I know :D

http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DD122FW

lard said:
Was thinking along the lines of those low power green house heaters you get to keep the edge off of the weather -
Thanks,
Larry

If you do use heating dont use anything that burns, like a greenhouse parrafin heater. Apart from the fire risk theres also the problem that for every pint of parrafin burnt it generates nigh on a pint of water. Fine in a greenhouse, bad in a garage.

If you need to heat then use something safe and dry like one of those small oil filled thermostatic electric rads. :)

:) well theres this http://www.lancashirecarstorage.co.uk/classic.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
put it in that pink micheal jackson tent thingy :roll: :lol:

i prefer the plenty o wax / car port/ only sunny sunday drives option :)

Latest posts