Comfy ride shock absorbers stock size - any recommendations?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davydomes

Reaction score
I have searched the forum but not found an answer to my simple (he said naively - and really should know better) question.

Can anyone out there recommend a replacement for the stock standard height shock absorbers that will give the bus a more "comfy" ride. Don't half feel it jolt when going over the slightest of dips/pot holes.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it. I could only find lowered buses stuff, coil overs etc.

Regards
David

It shouldn't jolt, when was the last time the beam was fully greased?
Do the trailing arms move smoothly in the ends of the beam?
The shock absorbers (the clue is in the name) are only there to absorb sudden suspension movements, not act as the suspension.

As wiggly says^^^ but if you are ‘ jolting then something may be up with the rest of your suspension and would.possibly need sorting prior to replacing things willy nilly . Of course change your shocks if you want and you’ll struggle to better Koni s, for reliability, and durability and general build quality in a standard type of shock. Might be worth a little test drive with no shocks first or at least try and check your suspension travel on axle stands and try and work out where this jolt is coming from. A broken leaf is the first thing to spring to mind.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, if it ain’t one thing , then it’s two :mrgreen:

I got some proper Joni shocks from Paruzzi a couple of years ago, they have an adjustable return rate and with stock tyre its super comfortable. Like others have said , the jolting you describe sounds like a different problem

I’m wondering if you have a physically broken shock? Or road spring damper as my betters keep reminding me :shock: :roll: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, get him up and get under him. :mrgreen:

Hi

Bought a set of bilstien shocks for my earlybay couple years ago from type2 detectives can’t fault them at all and would defo recommend 👍

Latest posts