Couple of electrical gremlins - lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinga

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a lovely 71 crossover in really nice condition however there are a couple of electrical gremlins with the lights and was wondering if anyone could give me any starting points..

(1) Headlights work, as does the main beam when the headlights are on (when you pull the stalk towards you, there is a click and the lights go from dipped beam to main beam), but the headlight flash (i.e. when you pull the stalk towards you with no lights on) does not work - it doesn't even 'click'.

(2) Fuse 2 keeps blowing as soon as you pull the lamp switch to position 1 - this means no front side lights, number plate light

(3) Not sure if this is related, but the right hand rear tail light doesn't work - haven;t had chance to check this yet, but hopefully just a bulb?

All indicators & reverse light & hazards all ok, as are all of the other electircs on the bus.

Any suggestions for where I could start?

thanx

Point 1 - do you have the correct relay to allow this function to work? It needs an extra pin that the factory relay doesn’t have, and this allows the relay to have constant power so that it can latch and unlatch (and subsequently flash the main beam lights) when you pull the stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point 2 - I’d be checking for a short on this circuit. Start by unplugging each wire to the sidelights, tail lights and number plate light, and then plug back in one by one.

Thanks Moseley - re point 1, does the standard bus not allow you to flash the lights ?

My 70 doesn’t have a flash ability

Wave at em I suppose lol, if I need to flash I pull out the headlight knob (if I find the right one quickly)

Don't quote me on it, but it may be that European buses had the flasher relay, and US ones didn't. I'm sure someone more in-the-know can confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your probably right pal, mines US

Just spoke to the previous owner who said that he removed the rear lights last year to refresh the engine bay, so hopefully its just a wire off.

Will keep you posted.

Thanx again.

Quick update - moved my way round the bus eliminating each light at a time & turns out that the previous owner had got the wires round the wrong way on one of the front side lights - so the live was going straight to the earthed contact - swapped wires round & all good now.

Thanks for the help guys...

One quick question though - the side lights are small bulbs inside the headlamp - is this OEM or a modification that the PO has done - I always thought the side lights were inside the indicators at the front - mines a 72 crossover.

Thanks

Latest posts