• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Crew Cab Ladder Truck

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogseye

Reaction score
I have decided to sell all of my vw parts and projects and so here we have for sale a Ladder truck. It is super rare (only early bay one known to exist) and it it a July 1971 crew cab ladder truck that spent all of its working life in Vienna. Originally in Chianti Red it has been painted on the outside by a previous company owner, it has had 4 working owners in its life and there is a fair bit of history with it and a vw birth certificate. The all steel ladder has a main section and 2 extending sections with a total height of around 14m from the ground, the ladder is all hand powered with winch handles and cables and the locking pawls are gravity operated. The ladder turntable is bolted onto the load bed so it can be removed for restoration.

The vehicle has had 2 new rust free front doors, the rear crew cab door needs a little work but not too much and one key fits all locks. This does need a fair bit of work but the rear arches are good as is the chassis and the front panel only needs a little around the windscreen area and lower valance. It does need attention to sills, front arches, front floor, one front wheel arch tub, rear corners and battery tray and a few other bits, the main job though will be it needs the roof replacing or repairing.

The good news is though i have lots of panels to go with it
complete crew cab roof
klassic fab front floor
a pair of NOS front dog legs
a pair of NOS rear truck corners
an NOS battery tray
2 NOS sills
and some other bits i cant remember at the moment

This is a big project for someone but the only other one i know of is late bay one that took over from this one when it retired i'm fairly sure you will never find another early bay crew cab ladder truck with history going back to the dealership and to when it was converted from almost new. I have quite a lot of photos but most where taken a while ago, other than some paint being removed and the screen taken out the only other change is new front doors, the vehicle is complete and has an engine and box although i have never run it in the 5 years i've owned it. Please call if interested its in ipswich suffolk Nick 07969329074
The truck has already had a spot in a mag as it stands, The price with all the parts i have is £8000 which sounds a lot but this is rarer than even a Binz

The plan was to create something like this

oddly there is one model you can get of this almost as it is

The ladder rest is bolted on to it and over the years the roof has become dented there and crushed the inside cross brace thing. The piece above the passenger door has rotted as well. The roof may be repairable with dents knocked out and brace taken out of replacement roof I have, I also have an nos section to replace the rotted piece above passenger door. I'll wrestle with photobucket and see if I can get a pic or 2 up

davidoft said:
What’s wrong with the roof ? Got any pics ?
following on...
support on roof

support inside cab was never a great design!

piece above front passenger door that could be replaced with other roof or i have nos panel

back end of spare roof

Change of circumstances over the last year means this is available again to pay off frickin great solicitor bills lol. Anyone interested it’s a project but very rare

Latest posts