crusing speeds ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubscum

Reaction score
motorway driving, what engine you go and what speed to drive.

micro bus 1600sp 55mph, not to bad mph and the engine sounds sweet.

i past a few other bays going slower. But 2 splitscreen came past me at different points of the jorney pretty fast and they looked standard, whats the deal with them ? is it due to a better gearing after a straight axel swap ?

My stock 1600 does 55 to 65mph @ 3000rpm

Remember the wheel and tyre combo you run will affect your gear ratios.
If your looking to get a faster cruising speed with lower rpm in a bay you can always buy a 6 rib 2.0L box and swap the nosecones over (late one for your early one)

If its a quick split its probably had an IRS conversion and a late model beetle box or freeway flyer fitted?

I'm no expert but my van was a microbus and although it is slow away from a stop it can run along the motorway at all but 70 mile after mile...until it goes uphill. It's always been good but is now great as it has a new Mexican engine as of last autumn. Standard other than a slight lowering which helps stability.

I have a 1600 sp in my 71 and she pootles along happily all day on the motorway at around 60/65. Optimum speed seems to be about 56mph though (its like warp speed for bays!) :D

I drive a heavy old westy with 1600 sp and drive at 60mph on speedo (50mph on SatNav). Always feels like you're on holiday.

I drive a westy pop-top everyday, on the way to work it will sit a 60-65mph easy. Got a new motor, had a weak moment and fitted weber 40idf carbs, bosch 009 dizzy and 4 into 1 exhaust system. Got alot oooph now :D

Pity i can't get the benefits though, curse my standard transmission. Dunno if to go 1303 beetle box or half inch 1 from a 2L late bay and switch nose cones. :?

All i know is, gimme a higher 4th gear

I was swaying to 6 rib, got a stonger bus diff. How much easier though??? i know you need to shorten the input shaft, and for a 1303 box you need a kit from road house retro

Swap the nose cone jobs a goodun. As you mentioned, I'd heard the bus boxes were a bit stronger, guess you'll have a bit more piece of mind if its hauling a camper on a daily basis.

I've recently replaced my engine with a 2ltr (twin 32 carbs), haapily whizzed down at 70-75. did get it up to 80 for a brief while - faster = worse petrol consumption though.

1600tp standard and can easily cruise at 55-60 (just enough to overtake lorries :mrgreen: )

i've had it around 65 before but never had it flat stick...i'm sure it would do 70.

fitted an electronic ignition this weekend and it's probably a placebo effect but it doeas seem to pull in 2nd and 3rd out of bends much better now.

1600 engine, nothing added or modified and can cruise at 70. Cruised up the M1 from the M25 to Leicester without issues...

(lets hope that wasn't tempting fate, I'm going Cornwall in 2 weeks and don't want anything to go wrong).

tom_r_p said:
1600 engine, nothing added or modified and can cruise at 70. Cruised up the M1 from the M25 to Leicester without issues...

:shock: fair play, surely that not cruising...more 'ringing the tits off it!' :mrgreen:

Tiki-Al said:
tom_r_p said:

:shock: fair play, surely that not cruising...more 'ringing the tits off it!' :mrgreen:

Not at all. Been driving bays since the 1970's. Stock 1600 twin port will sit happily at an indicated 70 to 75 all day on the motorway. If it doesent then theres something wrong with it. Simples. :)

Trikky2 said:
Tiki-Al said:
tom_r_p said:

Not at all. Been driving bays since the 1970's. Stock 1600 twin port will sit happily at an indicated 70 to 75 all day on the motorway. If it doesent then theres something wrong with it. Simples. :)

I'm sure it will do 70 but isn't your foot flat to the floor?

I class cruising as 3/4 throttle in 4th which for most people is 55-60, then again a lot of us have all manner of wheel/tyre combos so the speedos are all over the shop too...for all i know i could be doing an indicated 65 when it's more like 70! but at the rate most cars piss past me I doubt it.

My van is old, the engine is old too (40years), there are a lot of old parts on her (And new), the tyres are lower profile, she is nearer to the floor, she has a narrowed beam, I carry a whole heap of crap, she's a left hooker, the steering box isn't the best, the breaks are ok but no ABS, other road users haven't a clue (present company excused), I bought her as a hobby to enjoy............I'm sure there is more......

What I am trying to say is, I have no doubt she who sit at 70mph on the motor way but I'm not about to find out. If she was new and was under warranty and the steering and brakes were up to the job I would be happy to put my right foot down. I own a Skoda Fabia VRS which happily sits at 110 mph on the motorway returning about 40mpg so if I want to get somewhere fast I use that.

I think after 40 years she deserves a bit of TLC, or a bigger engine, better gearbox, better brakes and a steering rack :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not at all. Been driving bays since the 1970's. Stock 1600 twin port will sit happily at an indicated 70 to 75 all day on the motorway. If it doesent then theres something wrong with it. Simples. :)[/quote]

I'm sure it will do 70 but isn't your foot flat to the floor?

I class cruising as 3/4 throttle in 4th which for most people is 55-60, then again a lot of us have all manner of wheel/tyre combos so the speedos are all over the shop too...for all i know i could be doing an indicated 65 when it's more like 70! but at the rate most cars piss past me I doubt it.[/quote]

No my foot isn't the the floor, there is still some. Never had the bottle to see how far it will go. Yeah some cars do piss past, I would normally in my daily drive, doesn't mean they are doing the speed limit...

we cruse at around 90mph, but the speedo is way out :lol: :lol: so poss around 55-60mph, 1776 with dell's etc, just neeed to sort a box out to get it up a bit more out of it for the longer journey's.
Agreed with faux, buses are like us when you get to 40 you deserve a break and need to slow down a bit, so why rush :mrgreen:

ianscooby said:
we cruse at around 90mph, but the speedo is way out :lol: :lol: so poss around 55-60mph, 1776 with dell's etc, just neeed to sort a box out to get it up a bit more out of it for the longer journey's.
Agreed with faux, buses are like us when you get to 40 you deserve a break and need to slow down a bit, so why rush :mrgreen:

WOWWWW! I haven't reached 40 yet :mrgreen:

Latest posts