CSP bell crank linkage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day I was driving along and all of a sudden there was a loss of power and the throttle pedal felt lighter. I discovered that the r/h/s/ carb linkage had come off its ball joint leading to no throttle on cylinders 1 and 2.

There is now a pin to secure the ball joint on this side, but on the l/h/s there isn't one. I thought that this be a mistake so contacted CSP and had a reply from Helge stating that the pins are not necessary and they actually remove them before assembling the kit for sale.

Does anyone else have this linkage and if so do you have the retaining pins? pic below of l/h/s without the pin around the ball joint.

IMG_8936 carb linkage.JPEG

I have csp bellcrank on weber twin 34's, retaining clip only on one end. Bought new, i unwrapped the kit myself.
I will source clips or buy ball joints and take the clips off or just swap out the joints. It's appalling that they are removing them, its a retaining clip to prevent what has happened to yours!
I have bought these balljoints before and they always come with a securing clip.
Have you asked them to send you some from their pile?

What’s their justification for removing them? Seems an odd thing to do if it makes no difference to the operation of the linkage.

What’s their justification for removing them? Seems an odd thing to do if it makes no difference to the operation of the linkage.
The reply said that they don’t consider them necessary, but I don’t really get it. They are made to be fitted with a locking pin so why not just leave them on? I don’t know. I will be getting another pin for the left side linkage as well.

I have csp bellcrank on weber twin 34's, retaining clip only on one end. Bought new, i unwrapped the kit myself.
I will source clips or buy ball joints and take the clips off or just swap out the joints. It's appalling that they are removing them, its a retaining clip to prevent what has happened to yours!
I have bought these balljoints before and they always come with a securing clip.
Have you asked them to send you some from their pile?
Funny yours had one locking pin or clip only?
I will be getting another pin but I haven’t asked CSP to send one.

The reply said that they don’t consider them necessary, but I don’t really get it. They are made to be fitted with a locking pin so why not just leave them on? I don’t know. I will be getting another pin for the left side linkage as well.
That is very odd. If they don’t cause a problem, why remove them in the first place. Hey ho, hope you get it sorted as I presume the ball joint are fairly readily available.

Any chance somebody would be kind enough to post a close up picture of the pin please, I don't see
any on mine and would like to see what is being referred to. Any help appreciated.

J & P
:D:D:D

I have this linkage, with clips on both ends. Always assumed they were necessary so it didn't shake or jolt itself off at some point

The earlier kits came with them but but I’ve fitted several including my own bus without the pins and never had an issue.

I’ve driven the bus with the new engine for nearly three years without a problem but then one side came off. Glad you have not had any problems.
I questioned CSP about it also when a kit arrived with no clips and they said the same to me. Like I say neevr known 1 to pop off, maybe just a fluke with yours 🤷🏻

I questioned CSP about it also when a kit arrived with no clips and they said the same to me. Like I say neevr known 1 to pop off, maybe just a fluke with yours 🤷🏻
Yes maybe just a fluke. The only thing is that after a few thousand miles perhaps the joint has worn in a bit making it slightly looser.
The funny thing is we visited the same place in October when the fan belt pulley fractured 😂 So maybe I won’t visit there again for a while!

Yes maybe just a fluke. The only thing is that after a few thousand miles perhaps the joint has worn in a bit making it slightly looser.
The funny thing is we visited the same place in October when the fan belt pulley fractured 😂 So maybe I won’t visit there again for a while!
Quite possibly, you could always use a think bit of wire, go though the hole and lock it off somehow?

And yes you’ve found a dodgy spot I’d stay away

Latest posts