Cunning Bus Project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
froggy said:
How did i miss the interior, its 100 times better than mine, damn alwys in the wrong place at the wrong time :(

You will kick yourself even more if I tell you how much it sold for! :shock:

cunning plan said:
froggy said:
How did i miss the interior, its 100 times better than mine, damn alwys in the wrong place at the wrong time :(

You will kick yourself even more if I tell you how much it sold for! :shock:
Checked out the ebay address you posted, well gutted :( :x :cry:

Some more progress, alot slower than I would have liked because money is tight and im struggling to find a good bodyshop / welder in the Cambridgeshire / Norfolk area... :(

Also, work have banned non-essential net use so im not on here as much as I want to be :roll: :shock: :|

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

Taking a look at those dodgy late-styled wings that have just been tacked on :?

DSC00162.jpg

hmnmmh..

DSC00163.jpg

Started stripping the front with those annoying '68 only wipers which will be replaced with later styled arms and a fresh motor.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

Inside the front clip behind the indicators was......

DSC00166.jpg

....a bit manky.. Do you think this means a clip-off job to get it sorted?

DSC00164.jpg

Lots of cleaning, stripping, wirewheeling and grinding work done..
The majority of these pictures show 'issue' areas..

Bothrearcornerslooklikethis-flaky.jpg

Closeupjonedpanelsnearside.jpg

Frontoverall.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

NearsideWindscreen.jpg

Nearsiderear.jpg

NearsideroofandtopofApillar.jpg

Nearside.jpg

OffsidePanels.jpg

OffsideWindscreen.jpg

Offsidefrontclip.jpg

Offsiderear.jpg

Offsidewrongwing.jpg

OverallCurrent.jpg

RearClip.jpg

Rearclipandgutter2.jpg

Rearclipandgutter.jpg

Rearguttersectionfacingrear.jpg

Rearroofclip.jpg

Window1-Slider.jpg

Window2.jpg

Window43.jpg

Window4.jpg

cleaningandprepingasmuchasIcan.jpg

Some small repairs, lots of metal ready and rust netrualiser with bucket loads of POR15!

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

Slammed said:
Do you have shares in POR 15?! :lol:

haha!! Im trying to make it as solid as possible. Hopefully when most of the major stuff is done it will also get a good coat of POR15 before being primed and painted.... :mrgreen:

Blatant plug for my halfs company dude but if you want to save money on por15 paint have a look here
http://www.therustshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice load of work you done there so far by the way chap!!

thats my old bus i owned it a few years ago found it in a garage near me the guy had stripped all the doors interior etc out and left it sat there for a few years i bought it for next to nothing throw what ever doors etc i had lying around on it repaired a bit of the windscreen surrond done a few plates underneith stuck my engine in it and got it through an mot with the intention of going back through the van when i had more time ( as you do i will just patch this for the mot cause i need this car on the road now) drove it for a month and someone wanted to swap it for my split i own now so i bit there hand of

i was never happy with the suspension my poor dog used to get bounced of the seat

the origanal danbury int was knacked so i just stuck a micro bus seat in the back

glad to see it being sorted now nice work

Danbury Doug said:
Good to see progress, particularly on another Danbury! :D

How can you tell that its a Danbury?

Reading through your blog right now!! Just awesome skills...... :eek:

barny said:
thats my old bus i owned it a few years ago found it in a garage near me the guy had stripped all the doors interior etc out and left it sat there for a few years i bought it for next to nothing throw what ever doors etc i had lying around on it repaired a bit of the windscreen surrond done a few plates underneith stuck my engine in it and got it through an mot with the intention of going back through the van when i had more time ( as you do i will just patch this for the mot cause i need this car on the road now) drove it for a month and someone wanted to swap it for my split i own now so i bit there hand of

i was never happy with the suspension my poor dog used to get bounced of the seat

the origanal danbury int was knacked so i just stuck a micro bus seat in the back

glad to see it being sorted now nice work

Hey Barny! Tanks for posting dude, any information you can give me on the bus is always welcomed! :D

I am guessing the plates you did are the ones in the floor (load area) and the outriggers? They look good repairs! I am leaving the floor how it is but I think the weather has got to the outriggers, might have to have a play with them..

Its a shame it was stripped, its only really the back roof section that lets it down :(

I found some shots of it here on EB from a guy called 'streetwagens'. I dont think he posts here anymore..

Here it is with a white door I found..

P1020343.jpg

cunning plan said:

:D I could tell from the black plastic Danbury curtain tie-backs visible in your bus, and also Danbury curtain rails are positioned directly above (ie just about touching) the window rubbers (as opposed to an inch or so above on nearly all other conversions). On your latest pics I also spotted an aperture for an interior light cut into the base of your roof locker, just by the rear hatch. The very early Danburys had a light here, I have noticed.

The very first bay window Danburys had their 'Danbury Conversions' badge mounted on the bulge of the engine lid, as opposed to the usual position being in the centre of the crossmember between the engine lid and rear hatch. You may be able to just detect the filled holes where the two rivits would have attached the badge, in one or other of the areas I've mentioned above. :)

Oooh, just re-read and noticed Barny confirms it was a Danbury. :D

Doug

streetwagens the guy i swapped it with

i will try and find all the old pics ive got and get them up on here

Tanks Barny!

In that second picture, it doesnt look too bad!! :lol:

Danbury Doug said:
cunning plan said:

:D I could tell from the black plastic Danbury curtain tie-backs visible in your bus, and also Danbury curtain rails are positioned directly above (ie just about touching) the window rubbers (as opposed to an inch or so above on nearly all other conversions). On your latest pics I also spotted an aperture for an interior light cut into the base of your roof locker, just by the rear hatch. The very early Danburys had a light here, I have noticed.

The very first bay window Danburys had their 'Danbury Conversions' badge mounted on the bulge of the engine lid, as opposed to the usual position being in the centre of the crossmember between the engine lid and rear hatch. You may be able to just detect the filled holes where the two rivits would have attached the badge, in one or other of the areas I've mentioned above. :)

Oooh, just re-read and noticed Barny confirms it was a Danbury. :D

Doug

8) Great information! Ill have a look for the covered badge next time Im working on the bus.. I wondered about the curtian tracks, but figured that a PO had installed them, along with the overhead locker - had no idea that was all original equipment! Have you got any more general informaiton about Danburys? Be interesting to know what they came with as standard etc? :?: :)

Am I right in thinking that my bus must be pretty rare being an original UK RHD January 1968? :eek:

cunning plan said:
8) Great information! Ill have a look for the covered badge next time Im working on the bus.. I wondered about the curtian tracks, but figured that a PO had installed them, along with the overhead locker - had no idea that was all original equipment! Have you got any more general informaiton about Danburys? Be interesting to know what they came with as standard etc? :?: :)

Am I right in thinking that my bus must be pretty rare being an original UK RHD January 1968? :eek:

I'm guessing the badge on yours has gone, but you may still be able to see evidence of where it was once attached. The overhead locker on yours looks as if it has, at least on the front part where the flap is, been re-clad.
The interiors are basic, but functional and quite adaptable. Behind the bulkheads you have two removable seat boxes, on runners. One of them (the one by the sliding door) contains a small 'flip-up' cooker/grill, the other is for storage. You can have these seats facing the rear, ie for eating, when the table is set up, or facing forward for travelling. The rear bench seat again, has storage. A small, removable sink box and pump would be situated on the nearside of the rear bench seat. The sink would drain, via a waste pipe, which led down through a hole let into the lower part of the wheel arch. Water storage containers would be situated below the sink. If the sink was not required, it could simply be lifted out, and some in-fill cushions placed where the sink box was, for extra seating.
No rock and roll beds originally in these vans! Bed configurations could be varied, and would be made up by differing configurations of plywood infill boards and cushions. :D

Here are a couple of links for you to check out!.......

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7458&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vwdanburycamper.wetpaint.com/?t=anon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding rarity of '68 RHD buses, well, there are a few about, certainly not in great numbers, at least not in the quantities of buses such as our crossovers! :D

Doug

Latest posts