Cutting out when hot

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGPlant

Reaction score
Standard 1600 engine with electronic ignition, when on a long run and engine is hot, is does a few coughs, then when coming to a stop everything dies, and won’t restart until sat for a while, then takes a while to start again, but then fine for a bit. Any ideas? Thinking distributer?

Fuel pump or coil.
When it dies, try pumping the gas pedal a few times then start. If it gives signs of starting then dies again, you know it's fuel problem, 99% that it's the fuel pump.
Abel

Carry a spare sparkplug with you, when it wont start, pull a lead from a sparkplug, plug in the spare one and ground it to see if you are getting a spark or not when cranking over. I had a problem with my Empi electronic points module breaking down causing no spark randomly. Otherwise I'd suggest coil.

Well, we’ve taken out the electronic ignition and put new points etc in, and fitted a new coil. Possibly some vapour lock, as fuel line was laid on coil, and I spotted some bubbles so moved fuel line away a bit. Hoping this helps sort her out!

Latest posts