Dash Wiring Headache

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeyv

Reaction score
Evening all.

Currently cracking on with getting my 71 US import ready for the road, job by job... Slow and steady!

Unfortunately I've hit a snag today with the wiring. I had all the indicators working (thanks to George aka gvee for letting me raid his parts stash!) but then I lost indicators, still had hazards and noticed that the oil and generator red lights on the dash weren't lighting up - the engine still turns when ignition is turned all the way though.

They must be linked as they happened at the same time, but I can't see what it is that's done it.

To get a better look I removed the air con unit I had under the dash and I've now got a fairly thick, live red wire hanging out under the dash, has this been pulled out of something? I've had the clocks out to get to the wiring behind them as there were some bodged connections when I bought it.

Any help appreciated - also if anyone knows of someone local who can pop over and have a look over the electrics and the whole van in general, that would be double amazing and would be happy to pay in beer tokens!

Here's a few pics of what I've got - noticed the light switch seems to have one wire fed back into another connector on the same switch - it's got blue crimps and looks to be a later addition to factory - the wiring diagram isn't really helping as I'm slightly thick.

254F02DF-5BB2-441D-90BF-CF7BF9924BE1_zpsvzpbim2l.jpg

8DF186B4-141C-4DBC-9309-6CA9D1F04660_zpsm00xo5if.jpg

That looks like your 12v live that should come out of the back of the fusebox that has come loose
I had several hours of wiring fun yesterday and it looks familiar
Although in your pic at appears to have popped out of a connector of some description
Love old bus wiring :x

StuF said:
That looks like your 12v live that should come out of the back of the fusebox that has come loose
I had several hours of wiring fun yesterday and it looks familiar
Although in your pic at appears to have popped out of a connector of some description
Love old bus wiring :x

I think it's a splice from the ignition - fusebox live - I just can't work out why it's there! It could have come from the air con unit, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere for it to attach, and that had a separate fused feed anyway...

Going to have another look over this tonight see if I can figure it out! Heads already aching just thinking about it!

Latest posts