Devon Sunlander(?)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_r_p

Reaction score
hey,

This is the first (and only) picture of my new camper. Only had him 2 weeks, he's currently being tuned and serviced.
I'm planning on keeping it, as it is, for 12 months before doing anything too major.
Any suggestions of things to look out for, I'm still new to all this.

I've put the question mark after the Sunlander as the guy I brought it from said it's a Moonraker... I don't think so. Anyone able to clear this up?

Attachments

• 28092008087.jpg
    83.8 KB
Hi Tom,

i'd need a few more pics of the interior to decipher which conversion it is. your the right year for Sunlanders but in 72 they still made the Moonraker and Caravette.

its a good looking bus, but your nose bulge is from the late bay and looks as thought it was replaced at some stage? you will have trouble getting the early badge on there, without smoothing the centre of the front panel.

Ive got a Sunlander to 8) . If yours is a Sunlander it will have a pull down cooker on the right as you open the sliding door and it will have 2 single seats behind the driver and passenger seats that can slide and face either forward for driving of back towards the bench seat. Post some more pics so we can see. :)

Hi Jonny, Hi Tim.

Thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately the previous owner did have an accident in the van. Which is why there is a different panel on the front. I guess that will need adding to thelong list of jobs that I'm developing....

The original interior has been removed by a previous owner, who has started to install their own custom interior. I'm still in two minds as to complete their work, or try to restore the old fella back to his original glory (where possible).

He's currently in at Johnsons Autoworks, having a good service, tune and a few minor repairs to at least keep it going while I decide. I've promised myself I'm doing nothing major for the first 12 months... watch this space though.

Hello again tom he looks great og interior gotta be the way forward may take a while and put a dent in your funds be well worth it to see him back to form m8 :wink:

Hi Tom

Great pics.... bus looks like its in real great shape :D . Sad to say its not a Sunlander :( . They only made Sunlanders in 71.......... I know you said your van was 71 but its a 72 crossover . You have the early low lights at the front but you have the larger rectangular light on the back ( also a GB 72 sign ). The 71s had the small oval rear lights. I did notice however a round sticker on your dash above the ash tray partly covered by something else. Devon did put stickers there, I have one saying Sunlander, maybe if you carefully remove the offending object you will reveal its true identity. Good luck with it.

you cant go wrong with a devon moonraker or sunlander, its easy enough to get hold of a good condition complete interior but it might be expensive,

It is more likely a moonraker or devonette than a sunlander (one year only) but could be either, its a shame the OG interior was removed, as even in bad condition they are relatively easy to re-veneer if you know a good kitchen fitter.

that sticker will tell you for certain which conversion it is.

not had a chance (or the balls for fear of damaging it) to remove the cheap tacky digital clock holder that is covering it. Maybe there should be a thread "the things PO do" rather than "the things we do to our vans..."

Will let you know how I get on and no doubt add a picture or two. Unless it's a complete disaster and then deny all knowledge... VW, what VW???...

Oil breather pipe is on order :oops:

Not had chance to steam the clock off the sticker, although I can tell it says Devon... who would have guessed that?

Anyone able to translate these?

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

Found this one behind the passenger seat (unfortunately the tools weren't there

DSC02216.jpg

The best place to look is on "thesamba.com". Go to type 2 and click on "vehicle identification" it will give you all the info you need to read your M codes. Good luck :wink:

Latest posts