Devons

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim B

Reaction score
Does any body out there have any idea how many campers Devon were turning out in 1970/1971. How big was their factory ? I have a Sunlander, you might have seen it in the Gallery,. They only made them in 71 and the most popular model was the Moonraker that year so there cant be many Sunlanders out there. Could they have turned out 3 or 4 campers per week ? If so and Sunlanders made up 20% of their production it would mean there are only 30 or 40 ever made. I have spoken to Devon Conversions in Co. Durham but they only have records back to late 80s.

Can any body help??

mine was a 71 moonraker, but the interior was warped so at the mo it has a diy interior. does have a rear side 1/4 light though which by its condition is original.

I have a 71 devon moonraker, interior is almost mint apart from replaced covers and one chipped door. My tables were missing as well but it looks like i found another interior to reaplce the missing bits so i should have a fully original interior.

I believe David Eccles in an article on Sunlanders a while ago quoted something like 2000 made ? (and very few left with original interiors..)

I will have to buy David Eccles book " VW Camper Inside Story" and look it up . Thanks.

will try and dig out the article he did in Camper & Commercial on Sunlanders too, about a year ago I think ....

I have that artical. It was winter 04 Issue 17. I have read through and he doesnt mention numbers. 2000 seems quite high. That would mean the factory turning out nearly 40 Sunlanders a week as well as the more popular Moonraker. Did they have the space for 150 or so vans a week?

Tim B said:
I will have to buy David Eccles book " VW Camper Inside Story" and look it up . Thanks.

Its a cracker book well worth the money! i got it and John Muirs book which is excellent and Haynes manual all for £15 on special from amazon.

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
Tim B said:

Its a cracker book well worth the money! i got it and John Muirs book which is excellent and Haynes manual all for £15 on special from amazon.

Was that recently?

;)

no youre right - looking at the total figures for RHD earlybays thats way too high - remembered it wrong ..

Justin & Mutley said:
Johnnyâ„¢ said:
Tim B said:

Was that recently?

;)

about 2-3 months ago

EarlyBay said:
no youre right - looking at the total figures for RHD earlybays thats way too high - remembered it wrong ..

Can you let me know how many RHD bays were built in year Aug70-Jul71 or were I can find out. Are there any copies of the VW type 2 microfiche archive on the web or are they like rocking horse s...t.

Here's the RHD figures from the British bay thread ...

early bay UK Sales figures:
Year / Transporter /Motorcaravan /Total
1967 / 2151 / 1387 / 3538
1968 / 1968 / 2148 / 4116
1969 / 2444 / 2368 / 4812
1970 / 3002 / 3317 / 6319
1971 / 3128 / 5484 / 8612
1972 / 6048 / 9325 / 15373
1973/ 6875 / 7986 / 14861

Latest posts