Dirty Harry's westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
I thought it was time to put up a story about my van.
Bought it 3 years ago after i sold my beetle convertible.
It came in the same container from the US as my beetle, the previous (Dutch) owner repainted it profesionally inside and outside :D and put in a fresh rebuild (US) engine but short after this the engine gave some problems and the van went into the garage for 10 years :shock:
This is how the van looked when i just bought it.
100_2441.jpg

100_2443.jpg

But the van was not detailed to my standards so i renewed al the birch plywood.
DSC00060.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

And upholstery.
DSC01292.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00071-1.jpg

The engine that was rebuild in the US was shot so i build a new one.
Its a 1641cc with NOS type 3 heads, riechert 34pci carb set, schleicher 292 cam and a home made twin pipe exhaust from a beetle box and 2 reversed mounted type 3 end tips.
DSC00223.jpg

The thing on top of the fan shroud is a NOS judson see dee electronic ignition.
DSC00209.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

And not long ago i found a NOS fuel pump 8)
DSC00213.jpg

The exhaust.
DSC01124.jpg

Some random pics

DSC00060-1.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0355.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00073-1.jpg

DSC00074-1.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

Westy camping table
DSC00204.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

Now Wagenswest spindles en rebuild trailing arms on the front, and soon the rear a tat lower
DSC00163.jpg

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

Love it - totally awesome - really jealous, the only consolation is that my kids would ruin it in no time!

Hi DH,

You sure have a super tidy westy, can't remember if i ever asked you about your floor, where did you find the westy look flooring?

Oh, and more pictures please DH! :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi DH,

You sure have a super tidy westy, can't remember if i ever asked you about your floor, where did you find the westy look flooring?

Oh, and more pictures please DH! :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

I found it at carpet right not sure if you have them in the UK and if they carry the same stock?
Just come on over to Holland for some camping and i arrange the floor ;)

Cheers, Harry

Wow what a fantastic clean bus. Looks so so nice. You must be so happy with it. Everything looks spot on. Congrats 8)

Hi Alistair,

I found it at carpet right not sure if you have them in the UK and if they carry the same stock?
Just come on over to Holland for some camping and i arrange the floor ;)

Cheers, Harry

Hi DH,

Yes, we have carpet right here, dunno if it's the same retailer though?

http://www.carpetright.co.uk/floorgrip-chic-7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is one local to me, I'll have a look......tempted by your offer though DH, maybe visit lovely Holland when the little one is a bit older..... :D

Cheers!

Alistair

Thanks for all the kind words guys ;)
I will post my updates and stuff here, cause my previous updates are all over the place :roll:

Beautiful detailing Harry.

The bracket fixing for the 'Please Pass' sign is so well done......

As Ego say's Harry, superb detailing - all over, loving the engine set up and the originality of the whole bus - Well done and enjoy!

Very nice indeed 8)
One of the nicest I have seen and the new arms etc will be the icing on the cake :mrgreen:

Latest posts