Do torsion arms wear in the tubes (Red 9 beam)?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeeDubMan

Reaction score
Having a bit of trouble with my Red 9 EZ rider beam/torsion arms. I've had it for a number of years but it's not been used on the road yet (moved house twice, had 2 kids meant the van got pushed down the priority list a little!).

When the torsion arms were inserted into the beam, all tightened up on the rods and all greased up (via a grease gun on the nipples), there was a bit of play when I grabbed the front wheels top and bottom and wiggled in and out; I could actually see and feel the arm moving (front to rear of van) in the tube as though it was pivoting on the roller bearing and moving/knocking inside the inner bush. I've replaced all the roller bearings (these are HK 5020 bearings, not standard VW beam versions) which has made some improvement but still have an issue with the N/S upper arm moving a little. I need to measure the amount but I can still feel some movement there.

Desperate to get it on the road but want to get this issue addressed before the MOT as I feel it will be a failure at the moment.

Any ideas/previous experience? Do the inner surfaces of the arms wear? Is there a tolerance on these?

Thanks

Steve

I bought some second hand arms that had been conveniently 'obscured' in the photo, but when they arrived, two were knackered due to excess wear on the arms where they sit in the outer bearing. it was really obvious though, actually stepped where the bearing had been rubbing. so I would have thought you could see any wear. Try contacting Red 9. maybe there's an 'upgrade' bearing?

Latest posts