Door Cards - Vapour Barrier Seal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Middleton

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

When I removed the vapour barriers from behind my cab door cards, they were attached with a removable sealant that just peeled off. When I reattached the vapour barriers, I used normal silicone sealant which has been a bugger to remove since. I know that removable [peelable, temporary] sealant is available in the US but I cannot find any stockists in the UK.

What do you guys use to seal the vapour barriers to the door?

Butyl rubber sealant strip for me. It is non-setting and waterproof, and is presumably the same stuff that most car manufacturers use from factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used just plain bathroom silicone and because there was plenty of it, plus I didn’t get way too excited cleaning up before I put it on, I’m assuming I can just rip my plastic off and peel away the silicone then just plop silicone on again when I re attach. Whatever you use it don’t need to be super adhesive as there’s no strain on it .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,I know I know I know you shouldn’t use silicone on your van :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Recently did this job. Bought some 3mm butyl round cord on Amazon. It was about £10 for 15m.

Silicone is a nightmare, goes everywhere. I've sealed my windscreen rubber with it, I dread the day it needs removing!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps. I'd like to warn you all off normal silicone. I've had a right game trying to get that shit off.

Does anything resolve silicone?

[EDIT} After a bit of googling I found that acetone dissolves it. I think cellulose thinners will also work as I believe this is fairly similar to acetone.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Yes bud, at Screwfix Direct, you can purchase a solution I think it is to help dissolve silicone. If it’s reasonably fresh, neat fairy liquid also does very similar. Silicone is a bit of a naughty to use because it can bugger you about when you get around to paint stuff. :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, but it’s a great sealant and adhesive :mrgreen:

Latest posts