Door keys and lock barrels.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ping

Reaction score
I don't have a door key for my 71 westy, ideally I would like one key to fit all locks, I don't really want to buy all new handles. What are my options?

You can rebuild them. I posted this elsewhere a while ago:

Tofufi said:
Ok, this is done on the cab door of my bay. I don't claim to be an expert or anything, this is just how I've done it to my bay. My bay currently has 2 keys. From what I know, engine lid locks tend not to be re-buildable, all the others are.

Step one, remove the handle. Again, this is a bay one so may be different from bug/split etc.

On a late bug, the handle is removed by undoing these screws, I think.

CIMG8979.jpg

This is the cab door handle from my bay.

CIMG8961.jpg

Undoing this screw...

CIMG8962.jpg

...allows the barrel to be pushed out

CIMG8964.jpg

It is a good idea to keep the key in the lock when removing it, just in case any of the fillets decide to make a break for freedom.

CIMG8967.jpg

Removing the barrel, you will see the fillets. I'm rebuilding this lock in the pictures to work on the blue key, instead of the worn silver one.

If you remove all the fillets, they can be cleaned. You're not meant to use oil to lube the locks, but graphite paste. I think.

CIMG8968.jpg

Replacing the fillets one by one means you can test each one individually to see if it fits with your key.

CIMG8969.jpg

You can see here the second one I fitted (arrowed) doesn't fit, as it sticks up too far. This is what prevents the lock from turning with the wrong key. I just kept going by trial and error until they all fit with your key.

If you only have one lock, you may find that your new key doesn't work with all the fillets. Either dismantle (and use) the bits from a spare secondhand lock the same (which I had to to re-jig my lock) or leave some missing as a temporary measure until you can buy a spare lock.

CIMG8975.jpg

All fillets fitted...

CIMG8976.jpg

Then reassemble and re-fit the handle in the same manner as removal :)

Any difficulty let me know, I'll help if I can :)

This is the guy you need to speak to:

http://dubkeys.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He did a complete set of bits for my Bus so I only need one key. You might have to send him one of your lock barrels if you don't have a key. Very helpful and reasonably priced.

Ping said:
Looks good. Any idea how to remove the sliding door handle?

Remove the plastic centre cap from the inner handle. Under this, you'll find a crosshead screw, which allows the inner handle to come off. IIRC the outer handle then just pulls through. :)

Ah! I seem to remember there's a tiny grub screw holding it in. It may well be hidden/filled by dirt :)

Latest posts