Dormobile Passenger seat

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dormo70

Reaction score
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone could help, we have a 1970 VW Bay Window Dormobile, we have a complete interior including the cooker to go under the passenger seat.....except, all the fixings that attach the passenger seat to the cab floor and I would imagine some kind of hinge that the seat flips on, when the cooker is in use - are missing!

I was wondering if anyone could show me a picture of the fixings under the seat so I could go about trying to recreate, or even better if anyone has any going spare? or a dormobile passenger seat they are selling?

I have tried Dormobile, and they cant help on this occasion.

Thanks in Advance.

I removed my cooker just wasn’t practical. See the three pictures showing how the seat is secured
Pic one is the back of the seat this clips into pic three which is secured to the van
Pic two show the seat base attached to the van. It swivels forward on the mounts
Just fitting an amp under mine

Thanks very much, very kind of you to take the time, Yes we did the same - also fitted an amp! we just cook outside and enjoy a great soundsystem on our long (slow) drives! I have just discovered somewhere along the line someone has removed the hinges and our seat is no longer attached at the bottom just the back!

I dont suppose anyone has measurements for the bottom part of the mount that attaches to the van? or know of anywhere they might be available second hand?

Thanks

If you’re not going to use the cooker then the original fixing points for the seat base were at the rear of the seat. They were just a pair of C shaped cutouts in a piece of angle iron I think, spotted to the floor section that the bar at the rear of the seat base fitted into, this then forced you to compress the seat by folding the base back in order to hook the rear hook onto the bulkhead, the front of the seat base / swab was free to do its thing but it was marginally pressurised so it stayed put. The cutouts were two on each side so you had a choice of two seat positions.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, looks a lot like angle iron :mrgreen:

Thanks for your reply Ozziedog, I do have those original brackets will try and get it attached to them.

I’ll try and find a pic of the bar, but it’s part of the rear of the seat base and is less than an inch thick with just enough on view to sit in these c shaped angledy bits. So sit the bar in the holes that you like either the front or the rear ones for a more upright position then push down on the rear of the seat back so as to force the bar into the cutouts whilst pushing the front of the seat base up and slightly to the rear and this will allow the hook on the seat back to engage with the eye bolted to the bulkhead.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,it’s easier to do than to explain :mrgreen:

Latest posts