Dropped Spindles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Think this is my 1st post on here, although been registered for a while.

I have a '71 Van, with the front discs. However, due to a seized caliper a few years ago, I renewed the full lot and used JK's bundle and fitted the later calipers.

I currently run stock height, and use the vehicle for camping.

I've always fancied going a little lower at the front, but don't want to lose ride quality too much. I know dropped spindles may be the answer, and searching on here shows the threads on VW Heritage's kit for £500ish quid. They drop around 60mm, which I reckon would be ideal.

I'd be happy to pay this, if it is true, and ride quality doesn't suffer too much. By ride quality, I mean won't break my back etc.

What's everyone's experience with these?

10-15 years ago, I would have slammed the thing into the weeds, but age creeps up doesn't it!

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers.

I Have dropped spindles (transporter Haus) and i found the ride quality improved! :eek:

Also less motorway sway with it being lower 8)

I've also got TH spindles, running KYB shocks, rides great. You will have to watch wheel and tyre choice tho. I had stock steels with 185 65's to start with, all fine, no rubbing, then went to Fusch copies, different offset to stock, with 175 60 15's, usually fine, but big bumps or really loaded up and the catch the inner arch.
Not sure, but I think the heritage spindles add width to your front end, so this may affect tyre clearance.

Thanks Neil. Appreciate the feedback.

I'm unsure as whether to go for the TH or Heritage ones. Presume both come with all the kit required (ball joints etc) as a heritage website doesn't mention them.

How long to fit them yourself? An hour a side if all current bolts are per-soaked 1st?

Cheers.

Had new shocks all round, creative narrowed beam at front and creative adjustable spring plate at back.

Running 50 14 at front and 60 15 at back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking at dropped spindles too but thinking the red9 eazirider kit will give more adjustability

I think I'm pretty much set on Dropped Spindles - seems to offer what I want, which is lower front end, but still comfortable ride. The rear seems of mine ok to me, so i'm happy to leave the back end as is - although see how it looks after the spindles.

I've new Boge shockers all round, and run standard steels with newish 185 R14 Toyo HO8 Commercials on (good Tyre by the way).

There are quite a few options out there TH, VWH, T2D, M7 etc. Who does the best one - I guess by 'best' I mean quality and safest or are they all pretty much comparable?

If you are set on a 60mm drop it is worth noting that the TH ones and others give a 3.5" drop (~90mm)

A5H said:
If you are set on a 60mm drop it is worth noting that the TH ones and others give a 3.5" drop (~90mm)

Good point.
VWH & M7 give 60mm. TH gives 90mm and T2D doesn't state.

Cool Air do both sizes and C&C do the French Slammers 60mm ones.

Price wise, all are pretty much the same, apart from T2D, which are a touch dearer after the exchange cost is knocked off.

Any advice anyone? Has anyone got pics of a 60mm front drop compared to the 90mm drop?

Thanks for any replies.

Fit the 60mm spindles and thats all youll have to do, maybe go down one spline at the rear to match.

If you go to the 90mm spindles you will need new front coilover shocks, a second adjustable track rod and new front lower profile tyres, and a rear single spline drop to match it up.

Clem said:
Fit the 60mm spindles and thats all youll have to do, maybe go down one spline at the rear to match.

If you go to the 90mm spindles you will need new front coilover shocks, a second adjustable track rod and new front lower profile tyres, and a rear single spline drop to match it up.

Thanks for this Clem.

May as well go for the VWH ones then - think 90mm will be too much.

Just need to work out if my modifield caliper mounts will work. '71 using late bay calipers, late bay pads and early bay discs. It's the JK kit as my previous early calipers were FUBAR.

Thanks for the help.

:D Give Alex a call at VW Heritage. Hes a top chap who'll help.

Just fitted a set of the 60mm ones to a customers bus, fairly straight forward but I had trouble getting the wheel bearings over the axle so had to resort a piece of emery cloth on both on them, they were from Machine 7 and I think they are the same ones that VWH stock.

I thought I was getting the Vintage Autohaus ones (French slammer) but it would seem that the ones that M7 and VWH sell are NOT VA ones, the only people currently selling the VA ones are C&C. If I was to buy another set I would go for the VA ones as those are the ones that have had the years of running in Europe and I'm sure the bearings would fit without adjustment.

Graham L said:
Just fitted a set of the 60mm ones to a customers bus, fairly straight forward but I had trouble getting the wheel bearings over the axle so had to resort a piece of emery cloth on both on them, they were from Machine 7 and I think they are the same ones that VWH stock.

I thought I was getting the Vintage Autohaus ones (French slammer) but it would seem that the ones that M7 and VWH sell are NOT VA ones, the only people currently selling the VA ones are C&C. If I was to buy another set I would go for the VA ones as those are the ones that have had the years of running in Europe and I'm sure the bearings would fit without adjustment.

Hi Graham

We stock the Vintage Autohaus / French Slammer ones.

They are the only people making these at the moment.

Alex VW Heritage said:
Clem said:

:mrgreen: Many Thanks

Yes feel free to call and I'll do my best for you, 01444 251 270

Hi Alex - sent you a PM, but stuck in outbox (maybe i've not enough posts to activate PMs yet).

At work so cannot call at the mo.

Are the ones you do, the VA/French Slammers then? Do these come with new ball joints etc.

I have the JK caliper conversion, as my early calipers were seized, and for speed, their kit was choosen. Late calipers, late pads but early discs. Would these work with this set up?

Many thanks.

Steve

They will work fine, you dont get new ball joints as these are just the uprights, you use your existing trailing arms. The dropped spindle basically moves the location of the axle itself up by 60mm making the bus lower by that amount.

The transporterhaus ones come with new arms as they use flipped spindles and run balljoints 'upside down' whereas the ones VWH & M7 fit to the standard arms.

How this picture helps.

Steve B said:
Alex VW Heritage said:
Clem said:

:mrgreen: Many Thanks

Yes feel free to call and I'll do my best for you, 01444 251 270

Hi Alex - sent you a PM, but stuck in outbox (maybe i've not enough posts to activate PMs yet).

At work so cannot call at the mo.

Are the ones you do, the VA/French Slammers then? Do these come with new ball joints etc.

I have the JK caliper conversion, as my early calipers were seized, and for speed, their kit was choosen. Late calipers, late pads but early discs. Would these work with this set up?

Many thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve

Graham has answered most of this, but you will need to run the later discs, (Maybe this was why you had to modify them Graham?) They are designed around a late bay spindle.

Cheers

Alex