Dual port Inlet manifold boots

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macachees

Reaction score
My 71 Dormy is cutting out when coasting to a stop with air getting through the inlet manifold boots. I’ve got some standard replacement boots but no time to change them over before a trip with the family on Saturday. I can’t find any of the split boots in stock anywhere for a quicker changeover.

Would heat resistant tape or similar wrapped around the connection work or would this be too rigid and cause issues? I assume the original boots are rubber to give a bit of flex.

Thanks for any opinions!
Lyle

My 71 Dormy is cutting out when coasting to a stop with air getting through the inlet manifold boots. I’ve got some standard replacement boots but no time to change them over before a trip with the family on Saturday. I can’t find any of the split boots in stock anywhere for a quicker changeover.

Would heat resistant tape or similar wrapped around the connection work or would this be too rigid and cause issues? I assume the original boots are rubber to give a bit of flex.

Thanks for any opinions!
Lyle
Where abouts are you located?.

Would you be able to lash up a temporary fix using butyl self amalgamating tape wrapped around the existing boots? It should be readily available from a motor factors or parts store.

For a one off, Id bandage them up with something - pieces of an inner tube glued into place and secured with clips or even zip ties would probably do it. Over the top of the damaged originals it should be fine.
Then get some regular ones and schedule an engine drop day.

A VW boutique that I used to frequent had problems with those boots. They tried several different pair (all that looked good) from several suppliers on my bus until they found ones that didn’t leak. (This was over a decade ago.) JADP.

I think this might be what’s up with mine. I fitted them and they look great but it’s still running as if there is an air leak. I can’t see where else it would be coming from. Going to remove and refit today to see if I can improve things and then plan to move on to fitting stock boots.

I think this might be what’s up with mine. I fitted them and they look great but it’s still running as if there is an air leak. I can’t see where else it would be coming from. Going to remove and refit today to see if I can improve things and then plan to move on to fitting stock boots.
I fitted these EMPI split boots and am well impressed with the design & quality, imo standard boots are flimsy by comparison. Looking at all the 5 star reviews on JK I'm not the only one, just sayin.😊

I refitted with some gasket sealent & there is no way there is an air leak there. To be honest, I' wondering if it's just my poorly setup new carb and a misinterpretation of the setting up of idle.

That sounds very likely to me 🤔
BTW, many new carbs are reported to have swarf present!. You could whip out the drain plug at the bottom of carb, stick a rag there to see if any thing comes out. If you wanted to check fuel level you can take the top of the carb off in situ, measure down from top lip to fuel, i think it should be 17 to 19mm . Make yourself a small cardboard L shaped square marked accordingly if necessary.

Latest posts