E10 fuel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
I filled up with E10 yesterday for the first time. I drove about 20 miles to my sons house in the morning with no problems. However, coming home later in the day (weather a lot hotter) and my engine temp went up to almost 150 deg. I have heard that Ethanol contains about 35% oxygen, so the air/fuel mixture has to be adjusted otherwise the vehicle will run lean which could cause drive-ability problems and overheating.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Just been down to fill up with Momentum which is still E5 but as we know costs more. I have run the van in the past on super unleaded and maybe it was my imagination but I thought it ran better

Checked the usual suspects today, valve gaps, oil level and timing. Found that full advance at 3000 revs was 40 deg, the dizzy clamp was slightly loose so must have moved. Backed the timing off to 30 deg. will see what it is like tomorrow as had a couple of sherbets watching the GP this afternoon.

As sparkywig says, Ethanol only causes issues if the bus sits for extended periods of time as the fuel will absorb water. While you’re using it there won’t be any problems and if it sits over winter, brim the tank and tip in some ethanol stabiliser.

E10 is the new brexit and covid :roll:

My bus has been running like crap since the E10 fill (probably coincidental). After resetting the max timing to 32 deg bus bogs down in 1st gear and just not running freely.
Took both ICT's off and cleaned them out, set the float height (for the 1st time) to 8mm as recommended. Carried out the initial tuning procedure from scratch, setting the butterfly to 4 thou and the mixture screw to 2 turns out.
Started her up with the carb linkages off, she ran and adjusted the mixture to get the best running, used a snail gauge to set the idle speed to 900 rpm.

I know it's recommended to set the timing before the carbs but in this case I couldn't really. So set the timing and my engine runs out of advance at 4000 rpm, has anyone else experienced this?

Took the bus for a long run (30 miles) and ran ok but still a little popping on overrun until warmed up completely.

The mixture screw was set to just over 2 and 1/2 turns out to get the best, so maybe I need to look at changing the idle jet for a larger size...

I used my first tank of E10 to do a road trip into Wales. About 300 miles in various weather (upto 30 degrees) and on mixed terrain (flat motorway miles and welsh valleys).

I can confirm absolutely zero difference noted. :D

I've just started a tank of E10 and I've not noticed any difference yet. Down to Caldicot next weekend when I will definitely know whether it makes any difference.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Latest posts