• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Early Bay sound deadening

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucson

Reaction score
Hi, looking for the hardboard panels which go above the engine. Foolishly mine got accidentally thrown away.

these are like hens teeth now
originals tend to fall apart, like mine did but i got a new set on eBay a few years ago, think it was an outfit in or near Ipswich but no sign of them now
i don’t think any of the VW parts suppliers make them
you could ask if anyone has the dimensions and/or drawing for you to make your own
good luck

I believe that Bus-OK sells them.
Part #OK61847

It is unfortunate that nobody in any other country has the skills to manufacture them…

Thank you for the reply, Ive emailed them but I'm not holding out too much hope, will probably end up making my own.

And this is the stuff that Noisekiller recommended for putting above the panel

Hi Gerry

The material used in the engine bay is the lead sandwich material which is foil faced and self adhesive, it is a sheet of lead sandwiched inside to 6mm acoustic foams and is 12mm thick

The barrier mat is self adhesive and is also foil faced but us only 3mm thick and is used as an anti vibration material on side panels

Hope this helps

Regards Steve

https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/noisekiller-lead-sandwich-material/

I believe that Bus-OK sells them.
Part #OK61847

It is unfortunate that nobody in any other country has the skills to manufacture them…

After the Earlybay set up, the 71/72 and onwards used a completely different style. This included a fibreglass section sandwiched in a clear polythene and held up by a thin steel section or two which was mostly holes. Not a great description but you might get the idea. And maybe because it’s such a limited number of vans using it that there really isn’t much of a market for them as in you are deffo not gonna sell dozens and dozens of them. This is part of the cost of progress as these vans were developed and changed sometimes even on a monthly basis, firstly to improve performance and genuine betterment and secondly to speed up productivity/production and or reduce costs to make it a more appealing or less costly buy for the new customer. After all it was still quite a radical van in it’s day as most vans then and now had the engine up front.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, How many rear engined vans can you think of ?

The material used in the engine bay is the lead sandwich material which is foil faced and self adhesive, it is a sheet of lead sandwiched inside to 6mm acoustic foams and is…
If I used that, it would be mere minutes until the picky pedants near me wagged their fingers and started clucking. 😂

Latest posts