Early Bays and Conversions of Panel Vans by Danbury etc

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironage

Reaction score
Hi

I hope this is the correct place to ask but i have a question about the companies that were converting vans back in the early seventies. I have read that companies such as Danbury were importing Micro buses to convert into Campers, if i understand correctly they also imported commercial panel vans and converted them? Is this correct and if so how did they finish the window cutouts? did they strengthen the cut out? or were the windows used a special type? If anyone has an example and could post pics of original converted panels i would love to see pictures, many thanks in advance from a Newbie!

Graham

Hi Welcome along, the panel vans had the windows cut with a jigsaw and basic rubbers fitted round the glass and into the hole. no strengthening was used, well in the case of Motorhomes International that made the Viking anyway. Heres a pic of my old bus, can just make out the curved glass and the flush fit unlike the recessed factory windows.

Picture017.jpg

Just

cheers for the quick reply and picture, may i ask how the interior of the slidind door was finished around the window was finished? its a double skin so the windows in the outer which would leave a rough inner? was there a capping or trim? again interested in a pic, really appreciate your help.

nice job you've done, looks great, can i ask where you bought new window seals for the rear side windows and sliding door? thanks again

Bought them at a show, think it was off C&C but i may of bought them off of here.
You buy that many things that sometimes it all moulds into 1

Latest posts