EB front seat cover metal bars / seat covers -how to?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattp

Reaction score
Evening all,

Back on here after a few years break, still have the bus and will be getting up and running again, at the moment the first thing on the list is seat covers and there has been a 7 year gap between stripping and refurbing the seal frames and now.

I have 2 drivers seats, stripped, repaired and painted, a full set of new WCM horsehair pads and a set of covers + a selection of the metal rods. What I cannot remember is does each seat back cover have 2 metal rods (one front and one back) and also does the back of the seat cover (inc integral rod) go over the 4 teeth in the seat frame before stretching the front around and clipping over the teeth.

Have just popped the cover over with the front rod in and can see the cover needs to be stretched to make tight / look tight, without a rod I can see it just pulling through the fabric.

Your help is appreciated, wish I'd done this years ago.

Thanks, Matt

Solved. For drivers seat, the smaller metal bar goes on the front of the back rest and is attached to the metal tangs/spikes first with the log bar going on the back of the seal back cover and over the top then just bend tangs over.

Nice that you came back to answer your question in case anyone else needs this info in the future. Not everybody does that.

I'd also add that this is a 1 person operation, you need 2 hands and a knee as you need to take out some of the natural spring in the frames to have sufficient slack to manipulate the cover when hooking them.

And top tip for getting seat back covers over frame, hand up on the front of seat between cover and horsehair pad, squeeze the pad and back of frame together and pull the cover up each side in turn, it only gets tight at the very end near the frame pivot.

mattp said:
I'd also add that this is a 1 person operation, you need 2 hands and a knee as you need to take out some of the natural spring in the frames to have sufficient slack to manipulate the cover when hooking them.

And top tip for getting seat back covers over frame, hand up on the front of seat between cover and horsehair pad, squeeze the pad and back of frame together and pull the cover up each side in turn, it only gets tight at the very end near the frame pivot.

Good darts. I increased the spring harmony of them all working together with a little extra material between the springs and the coir. I used a thin half inch piece of foam with some roofing membrane touching the springs. As you see all the springs tagged together, I increased that to every possible one with doubled up cable ties and the results were very good, much more comfy and almost no noise or squeaking when you park your bum on it. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,spring harmony :shock: I made that bit up :roll: ;) :mrgreen: ;) :roll:

Latest posts