Eco-shit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used similar loo set ups on modern trendy campsites and they also have these at Glastonbury. To be fair they smell much much nicer than regular portaloos.
I reckon they could work well in a mobile environment- no sloshing about!

The 'long drop' at Farmer Phil's I experienced this year was not for the timid.. But there was no separation of 'the doings' which they reckon is the (odour) cuplrit and also not 'litter or sawdust either. Most folk say the separation method works surprisingly well.

plus you get to post the 'Eco-shit' sticker in your window!;)

I’ve experienced similar on a national trust campsite down on the coast, can’t remember the name of the farm but it was far more pleasant than as they say most portaloos. This one wasn’t much more than a plank / seat in an open roofed shed that could easily be moved as just pinned down. The rear was dug out by a machine and left a one tonne bag in there with a large bucket of sawdust to cover everything and worked amazingly well. The machine returned with his fork lift prongs on to replace the bag every couple of days and everything was recycled naturally on the farm. I would imagine, into a slurry pit for a week or three.
In my van I also use the separation principle. All number ones go into a one gallon bottle titled ‘Recycled Cider’ and for the other, I use a Cuprinol fence paint bucket with resealable lid. Inside I use Asda bags around a Stella box. So the worst bit of recycling is the cardboard which isn’t an issue to the worms. The seat is also my Earlybay tracking guage :unsure:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,odour isn’t an issue with the resealable lid :)

I’ve experienced similar on a national trust campsite down on the coast, can’t remember the name of the farm but it was far more pleasant than as they say most portaloos. This one wasn’t much more than a plank / seat in an open roofed shed that could easily be moved as just pinned down. The rear was dug out by a machine and left a one tonne bag in there with a large bucket of sawdust to cover everything and worked amazingly well. The machine returned with his fork lift prongs on to replace the bag every couple of days and everything was recycled naturally on the farm. I would imagine, into a slurry pit for a week or three.
In my van I also use the separation principle. All number ones go into a one gallon bottle titled ‘Recycled Cider’ and for the other, I use a Cuprinol fence paint bucket with resealable lid. Inside I use Asda bags around a Stella box. So the worst bit of recycling is the cardboard which isn’t an issue to the worms. The seat is also my Earlybay tracking guage :unsure:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,odour isn’t an issue with the resealable lid :)
The McGyver version eh? Did you ever try adding cat litter/sawdust in the Cuprinol bucket.?

The McGyver version eh? Did you ever try adding cat litter/sawdust in the Cuprinol bucket.?
No I haven’t but not sure it’s required. The bucket holds the Asda bag, the bag holds the Stella box with parts of the lid thrown in the bottom just to protect the bag. Sawdust might help a bit with the saturation and I’ve usually got plenty of that so I may as well pop a load of that in the box too. Sounds like a great plan.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,everyday is a schooling day, especially with extra recycling

Latest posts