Electronic ignition

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a stock single port 1641cc (from VW engine co.) I've got what I think is a standard 009 distributor with no vacuum and thinking about an upgrade to electronic.I have a blue Bosch coil and good leads.
Questions...
1. I think that I can just get the module rather than the whole kit, is this right?
2. Is it worth paying the extra for Pertronix. If not any recommendations?
3. Read bits about them being susceptible to heat. Are they problematic? My engine does not run too hot.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Petronix is fine, I’ve used them for years in various engines. Don’t buy the cheap shit kits off eBay.

Oh!
I will double check and post a photo of the distributor if someone could confirm.
Since fitting my recon engine ( the distributor was off my old s.p engine) I have driven about 6000 miles and the engine runs as sweet as a nut.
Would or should I have experienced problems? If so what sort?
Thanks for the replies

Just checked my set up.
My distributor is a non vacuum 009 part no.JF4 0241178009. My carb is an original Solex 30 pict 3. Which doesn't appear to have any facility for a vacuum pipe.
Am I correct in assuming that I f I wanted electronic upgrade I would have to change my carb and distributor?
Any recommendations gratefully accepted. As stated my engine is running really nicely but if things can be improved with increased reliability and performance then I would go down that route

Some say the 009 causes a flat spot, personally I’ve never had an issue with it although economy will not be quite as good as a vac dizzy. You don’t have to change it, you can get electronic ignition for both. If your happy with how it runs then just get the petronix.

Thanks for that. I don't suffer from a flat spot at all. I presume you mean just install the pertronix module in my existing distributor.

Huyrob said:
Thanks for that. I don't suffer from a flat spot at all. I presume you mean just install the pertronix module in my existing distributor.

Yep, it’s very straight forward with decent instructions.

Latest posts