Empi quick shifter plate...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Reaction score
anyone fitted one of theose 5quid quick shifter plates on there early bay?
you know the 5quid ones,

basiaclly i fited one to my '67 beetle and it was really nice, i was hoinf to fit one to my early bay but it just doenst wanna work, for starters theres no way to get the bal thing on the actual gear stick, then when you put the plate on the spring pushes down so hard on it that it pulls the ball joint out of the linkage bellow,

anyone fitted one to theres is ithere a knack to it? its possible iom doing it worn ie fitting the reverse lock out plate wrong ly or summat, anyone have any ideas? it woul be really cool to reducde the thorw of my linkage as its taking the piss at the mo!!! and all the bushes are good, i am right in sayin gthere are only bushes at the rear on a early bay!?!?!

ie, the ones on the block just before it goes into the box?

cheers
alex

I remember having to file part of the one I fitted to my last van, to make it fit ..... long time ago.
There are also plastic shift rod bushes at the front of the van to change .. that length of leverage appreciates all the precision it can get!

ive had a looksy and cant see any bush on the front of the shift rod on mine, it just has a hole and a section of round bar insearitn into it, about 50mm long,

i know the early bays have a different front shift rod to the late bays like, cos the late bays have a front bush, as they have a braket for it, its the same bush in the spine of a beetl, ans its infront of the balljoint selector cup bit, the acutal tube of the late one runs in this bush, when ealy bays have a hole and rod arangement!

if you have a part no, or even better a pic that would be cool, as that would peroblerbly casue some of the sidewads play im getting....

as far as the shifter plate well i dunno, is the revese lock out plate menna go ontop on underneath the plate? i tryed it on the top and i think underneath, certianly it just pushed the balljoint ball out of the selectors cup...

i might have a paly whan i change th above bush... mine a reet early 68 if that mekes any odd's...

cheers
alex.

Try one of these?

http://shop.justkampers.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_24_156/products_id/10075

:D

so where does that go dude? sorry to sound so dumb, but ive been under there lets just say a few times, and i couldnt see a place for it, it is coverd in grease tho!!!

Latest posts