Engine build question .. again! :)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilly_70

Reaction score
Quick question for you engine guys here ..

Ok .. slowly building an engine back up and just fitting crank / distributor drive and Cam..

Lower crank into case half holding 1 and 2 rods .. (so 1 is essentially TDC)

My 2 marks on the Cam drive sprocket are 90 degrees from the Cam meeting point for the dots ..

Therefore I need to turn my crank and move number 1 rod away from TDC to align the dot on the cam between the 2 on the crank drive..

So when fitted, the 3 dots are aligned in a triangle (1 on Cam between 2 on crank drive) and the Distributor drive is in and the rotor is pointing to the mark on the distributor casing and both towards the fuel pump stud.

At this point rod 1 is no longer TDC?

Does this sound correct?

The book suggested No 1 should still be TDC when all the other alignments are complete?

Thanks Chaps

Hilly

Its ok chaps ..

I have my answer! ... Crank in #1 TDC with dist aligned .. turn 90 degrees to align drive and cam dots.

Hi the dizzy drive goes in after you fit crank and cam and align,fit other half of case dizzy drive goes in later.

I fit the dizzy drive last.this is so when rotating engine during build(setting tappets)the dizzy drive will try and wind itself out and lock up on brass gear.

Thanks chaps for the info ..

It does vary from different sources on when to fit the dizzy drive .. I have trial fitted it in before the crank and cam .. but really just to see how it sits and understand it a bit better. I can remove it now and carry on with the build.

It was more the position of the dot alignment and its reference to #1 TDC .. I now understand that the dots dont align at this point but rather 90 degrees off TDC ..

Its all about the learning!

Cheers

Hilly

Latest posts