Engine knocking noise?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68 obe

Reaction score
I have a 2110cc engine. I've noticed it has a knocking / ticking type noise when the engine is running.
The noise is steady on idle and rises in speed as the rpm increases, the noise is coming from the drivers side of the engine.
Any ideas what could be causing the noise, valve gaps? Bent push rod? Timing out? Carbs set up wrong.
The engine has always had that noise since I got it second hand as a turnkey engine a few years ago I've not driven it much and hope to use it a lot more next year so would like to know if its anything I need to worry about.
Any advice is appreciated

Yeah, I had csp bolt on rockers then changed them to standard rockers covers as I thought the csp rockers may be knocking as there wasn't much space above them.
I made sure the rocker shaft nuts were tightened to the correct torque.

CAREFULLY, Try using a piece of plastic / rubber pipe a few feet long and hold it to your ear like a stethoscope to get an idea of where the noise is coming from. Helps if you have someone there to keep an eye on where you’re putting your fingers. Just for a minute, it wouldn’t hurt to have the fan belt off but not too long. Nice to run without the belt for a little anyhow just to eliminate the fan and the alternator and the belt itself from the equation. Ticking does sound like it might just be the tappets, try resetting your valve / tappet clearances while it’s cold. Different pushrods may need different settings and as this is a modified motor, you’d need to know which rods for which tappety gappitty <<< new made up word :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,ally or steel? :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the advice so far.
I've taken the fan belt off and ran it for a short time and the noise is still there. I will check the valve clearances over the weekend, I'll also find out some hose and try the method suggested by ozziedog.
I've quickly taken a video of the engine running but don't know how to post it up on the forum.

68 obe said:
Thanks for all the advice so far.
I've taken the fan belt off and ran it for a short time and the noise is still there. I will check the valve clearances over the weekend, I'll also find out some hose and try the method suggested by ozziedog.
I've quickly taken a video of the engine running but don't know how to post it up on the forum.

Not 100% sure on video on here but I’m guessing you’d have to get it on You Tube then drop us a link so we can listen. But there’s some on here that are really good at noises but not me ;) ;) ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,they’re great these sneaky little horrible noises :mrgreen:

Latest posts